Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Confirmed Gray Wolf in Adirondacks

Confirmed Gray Wolf in Adirondacks

Finally, DEC agrees, just no one knows where it came from

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories...date=3/20/2004

saratoga springs Avatar: Spring has sprung ... just not yet on Sawtooth #3
    Cool.

And in a related story, DEC officials released a new rule that all wolves must be on leash while roaming in the High Peaks Wilderness Areas.
    "We sit together,
    the mountains and I,
    until only the mountain remains."

-- Li Po (701-762 A.D.)

... and store their kill in bear canisters!

and put snowshoes with 8 inches of more of snow

And don't forget, they are not allowed on AMR property.

If it ain't snowin' there, we ain't goin' there.
    And prohibited from reading Wolf Restoration to the Adirondacks .
    sardog1

"Å! kjære Bymann gakk ei stjur og stiv,
    men kom her up og kjenn eit annat Liv!
    kom hit, kom hit, og ver ei daud og lat!
    kom kjenn, hot d'er, som heiter Svevn og Mat,
    og Drykk og Tørste og det heile, som
    er Liv og Helse i ein Hovedsum."

-- Aasmund O. Vinje, "Til Fjells!"

Tom
    From the article:

"Unfortunately, it may require another hunter accidently shooting another wolf to figure out if there are more."

So they think it might be a solo wolf who wandered down from Canada, but it might be a pair, and they won't know until someone shoots another one. Maybe it's a a pack. We won't know how many there are (were) until we shoot every last one of them, evidently.

Tom

I'm glad to hear the story. I'm confused about something though - aren't there any controls on shooting coyote like we have for deer and bear? It seems like this guy shoots whatever he wants.

Also, speaking of grey - I had asked this in a previous thread but I guess I wasn't clear - I have seen a grey fox in the Albany area, but didn't even know they were in New York State. Does anybody know about the grey fox in the ADK or Catskill area? I have never heard of any.

In NH coyote hunting is open year round, there is no daily limit. All you need is a valid hunting license.

Hungry like the Wolf.

I finally figured out how to make a campsite bear-proof. Now they have to be wolf-proof too?! At least they don't climb trees.

I agree, very exciting news, no matter if it is a loner, or part of a pack. NY has a lot of wilderness. If there is one, there may very well be more. If there can be aligators in NYC sewers, why not wolves and big cats in ADK Park?
    Too sweet to be sour to nice to be mean.

I hope the DEC will limit the size of the packs and require permits.

gray wolf

Lawrence, the 47-year-old hunter who started the fuss, continues to hunt coyotes, for the $20 or so he gets for the pelts

I would love to see a gray wolf or any wonderful wildlife while hiking. I suppose I'll get a lot of crap for saying this but it makes me sick to think that guy kills & the value placed on the coyotes life is only $20! That makes me sad - actually it's quite pitiful. If I had the money, I'd give him $25 for each one he didn't kill. Figures something so awesome as a gray wolf shows up and he had to kill it. Am I the only one who feels like this? Most of the replies made a joke of the whole thing. Ok, so I'm waiting for all the backlash.

shadowcat -- you won't get any flack from me.

What is the market for Coyote pelts anyway ?

I know I'm gonna take some heat here, If you have never seen a coyote fur coat on a radiant blonde... they make great coats.
    I also see alot used for Native American ceremonial wardrobe and headresses.

Before the flames rise, I hunt and fish and respect all that I take. I would not waste and pride myself on mostly doing it the old woodlands indian way. I instruct the young in these ways at Boy Scouts and hope I pass on some of this respect for the lesser animals and the land from which they come and we share.
    I've been gone so long, going home seems like movin' on.

I am not trying to defend the shooting of the wolf, but, the DEC has said over and over that there are no gray wolves in NY. Coyotes are legal for hunting. This guy probably thought he was taking one heck of a coyote, and until the US F&W intervened, thats what the state told him as well. If you are anti-hunting thats fine. But in this case, more of an open mind from DEC with some warnings to hunters to be careful of there target because there MIGHT be gray wolves in the state, just might have caused this hunter to hold up on the trigger. Just my 1½ cents.