Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cold Hands

Cold Hands

Saturday was a beautiful day for a little winter tune-up hike to Kearsarge North, during which I was reminded that I need better mittens for my chronically cold hands. Does anybody know where I can buy Dachstein or Ortovox boiled wool mittens, or equivalent?
    "Adventuring can be for the ordinary person with ordinary qualities, such as I regard myself."
    -Edmund Hillary

Search and ye shall find.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

Also hands and feet are kept warm by excess body heat, thus the standard advice "if your feet [or hands] are cold, put on a hat" (even if your head does not feel cold). Additional body insulation can help, too.

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul
    Thanks, Doug, did that before posting. Campmor doesn't carry them any more, nor, it seems, does anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by DougPaul
    Also hands and feet are kept warm by excess body heat, thus the standard advice "if your feet [or hands] are cold, put on a hat" (even if your head does not feel cold). Additional body insulation can help, too.
    I'm aware of that. My hands are particularly sensitive because of cold damage done a long time ago, and it's not getting any better.
    "Adventuring can be for the ordinary person with ordinary qualities, such as I regard myself."
    -Edmund Hillary

I have a heavy pair of Charlet Moser wool gloves that are awesome, but I can't find them listed anywhere. Petzl Charlet doesn't work either. I carry these, cheap rag wool gloves and army surplus wool shooting mittens in winter (along with a waterproof shell I rarely use). I think wool has been overlooked as retailers seek to sell fancier, more expensive gear that does not work as well.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

These are those Charlet Moser's. Cascade gloves ! Excellent.

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Bloomville, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    There are some old threads about this, but if you search for hand warmers here or elsewhere, you will find lots of info. Toes warmers are great too. In spite of DP's maxim, I kept my hat on this past weekend and still had very cold hands and feet. I have a moderate case of Raynaud's syndrome, so I try to be careful not to make it worse.

That reminds me, I was going to start a thread about re-using hand warmers!
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin
    There are some old threads about this, but if you search for hand warmers here or elsewhere, you will find lots of info.
    I've been using hand warmers for a long time. I now buy the Little Hotties brand in bulk at Costco. The packaging is better than the more commonly available Grabber Mycoal brand, which I have never been able to open without tools or teeth.
    -Edmund Hillary

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim
    I've been using hand warmers for a long time. I now buy the Little Hotties brand in bulk at Costco. The packaging is better than the more commonly available Grabber Mycoal brand, which I have never been able to open without tools or teeth.
    Agreed! Your hands are numb and you're fumbling with a bag that you can not open!

Hmmm, maybe I should just repackage all my hand warmers before I ever start out! (See other thread)
    Tom Rankin
    CEO

Quote Originally Posted by pilgrim
    Campmor doesn't carry them any more, nor, it seems, does anybody else.
    Too bad--Dachsteins are great mittens.

I tried another search--this time on "boiled wool mittens" http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search and came up with an article on how to make them yourself from cast-off wool sweaters: http://www.backwoodshome.com/article...gelista84.html

I guess that leaves fleece liners and shells or expedition mittens.

FWIW, I use wind-blocking fleece gloves most of the time (hiking or skiing). (I have fairly warm hands, so they may not be adequate for you.) You might try wind-blocking fleece mittens if you wish to avoid using a shell over some temp range.

Doug

One thing that I forgot when I did my other rants was keeping your hands dry.

I try extremely hard to not let snow stick to my gloves. I try not to touch anything that would get snow on my gloves. I wear mitten/glove combos so I can vent excess heat/sweat from my hands. If my hands or gloves get wet, I usually need to start using hand warmers immediately or switch gloves.

Along with this goes the extremely simple solution of bringing multiple pairs of gloves. I bring up to 6 pairs with me of all shapes, sizes and thicknesses.
    Tom Rankin
    CEO

Pilgrim -

Dachstein is sometimes referred to as "Himalayan", so a Google search on Himalayan socks turned up this along with other hits.

You might also call Climb High in Shelburne to see if they have anything. They were purchased a few years ago by Mammut, so their whole line has changed, but they sometimes still have stock in their warehouse.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

Fleece gloves stay home

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Rankin
    One thing that I forgot when I did my other rants was keeping your hands dry.

I try extremely hard to not let snow stick to my gloves. I try not to touch anything that would get snow on my gloves. I wear mitten/glove combos so I can vent excess heat/sweat from my hands. If my hands or gloves get wet, I usually need to start using hand warmers immediately or switch gloves.

Along with this goes the extremely simple solution of bringing multiple pairs of gloves. I bring up to 6 pairs with me of all shapes, sizes and thicknesses.
    I no longer carry any fleece gloves in winter. Between sweat, water, snow, gear, ice, etc. it's nearly impossible to keep fleece dry for long.

I've been thinking about getting a pair myself. I found a pair of Ortovox McKinley mitts here:

http://www.wildernessexchangeunlimit...cessories.html

(Scroll down the page.) The good news is that their on sale for $19.99. The bad news is S/H is $10 and there is a 20% restocking fee, plus they come in strange sizes (6.5, 7.0, 7.5, ...9.5). When I called to ask about the sizing, the person I spoke to was no help. Anybody know what these number corrospond to? Wrist to fingertip? Hand circumference?

John

Quote Originally Posted by jdshiker
    http://www.wildernessexchangeunlimited.com/products/apparelaccessories.html
    A domain name that needs to be read and pronounced very carefully, like

http://lumbermansexchange.com which I swear, used to exist, but alas, no longer does.
    Tom Rankin
    CEO

Excellent point Tom ! I was afraid to click jdshiker's link . That's the type of domain name that should be buried in a Hyperlink.