GPS recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky

Reaction score
Catskills, Avatar: Porky & Pogo on Earth Day
It might be a mistake to post this, but as a result of my repeated difficulties to find certain mountain summits when under feet of fresh snow, my Significant Other wants us to buy a "nice handheld mapping GPS". Basically, we want a small, lightweight model with which I can record and import routes and waypoints, and which projects the local topo features. Modest cost, reliability and especially user friendliness are important (I'm old and can't think too hard). Bulletproof, if possible, as I am a klutz. As we may be taking it far afield, to Mexico, and beyond these shores, we would like it to be adaptable. I think the S. O. would also like it be pink, but I can live without a custom paint job, myself. Basically, we want featherweight perfection for a buck two-eighty--not *too* much to ask, huh? So, any recommendations, folks?

Have you done a search on this topic? If not, you might - there's a wealth of info that's reasonably current, and you'll find that the Garmin top of the line series are currently in favor on this board.

To complicate matters a bit, Garmin has recently released a new model series called Colorado (I think I have the name right) and Magellen has a new line. However, Magellen is having production problems so it's unclear when they'll be available.

In addition to the hardware, you'll probably want the Garmin MapSource and maps called Topo 2008, and at least one of the National Geographic series. If you read the various threads carefully, you should be able to discern how the software is used, what is or is not interchangeable with hardware, software conversion programs ... it can get complex in a hurry.

As for cost - you're probably looking at the better part of $500. And check places like Amazon for pricing.

Last edited:
Definitely do a search, this topic has come up often. In likelihood (and my personal opinion) you'll end up with the Garmin 60CSx plus their US topo map (sold separately) and Mexico maps as well. And possibly routable street maps for driving.

Talk about extensible - since the 60CSx takes any size MicroSD card you choose to put in it, just throw in a huge one and load up all the maps of all different kinds that you want.

So do some searching here on Views and you'll find more answers and information than you even knew you had questions for!
:)

Dave,

I have the 60CSx and thought long and hard about spending the $$ on it. I use it multiple times a week and one of the best hiking related items I own.
In my view, the best GPS for hikers available.
PM me if want more info or talk about the mapping capabilities.

Alan

MichaelJ said:
Definitely do a search, this topic has come up often.
Many times...
See, for instance:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17718
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19306
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19908
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=19872

Unfortunately, the search function on this BBS will not index the term "GPS". Use Google advanced search: http://www.google.com/search?as_q=G...://www.vftt.org/forums&as_rights=&safe=images

Talk about extensible - since the 60CSx takes any size MicroSD card you choose to put in it, just throw in a huge one and load up all the maps of all different kinds that you want.
AFAIK, the 60CSx is limited to a 2 GB card. (The Colorado may alllow larger.) The 60CSx is also limited to 2025 map segments, don't know off hand about the Colorado.

Doug

I *did* do a search on this site and generally on the web. The search of this site turned up nothing, for the reason Michael points out above, I guess. I don't know how I could have known that without asking. As for the web, I was rapidly overwelmed by the volume and variety of information, opinions, prejudices, come-ons and pure bally-whack pouring forth. There's not enough time left in my life to sort it all out, alas! I want to wander, not sit in front of a computer screen. Therefore, thanks to you all for your considered and considerate advice! I'm still digesting it....

porky said:
I *did* do a search on this site and generally on the web. The search of this site turned up nothing, for the reason Michael points out above, I guess. I don't know how I could have known that without asking.
If it wasn't obvious, the Google advanced search URL that I gave you was limited to this site. (Google, unlike the search function on this site, indexes the term "GPS".)

As for the web, I was rapidly overwelmed by the volume and variety of information, opinions, prejudices, come-ons and pure bally-whack pouring forth.
GPSes are just too popular (and commercial).

If you want good general information, see http://www.gpsinformation.net. There is also some technical info at http://edu-observatory.org/gps/gps.html.

Doug

You might want to consider the Garmin E-trex series of receivers. Some of the higher end e-trex models such as the Vista and Legend will perform the basic requirements you are looking for, are closer to your price range but don't have all the bells and whistles of the 60CSX or Colorado.

The GPS will come with a set of 'base' maps containing major roads & highways. You should consider an optional mapping program such as Mapsource Topo 2008. The E-trex series will allow you to download specific regions to the GPS but the 24 mB (of the Vista) will fill quickly and you will only have the capabilities to use one map at a time.

I would also recommend a 'x' model. These have an electronic internal dynamic compass and barometric altimiter.

Also the higher end models contain a SIRF chip which averages your position and can generally place you within 5-20 Ft of your true location.

Good luck

HockeyPuck said:
You might want to consider the Garmin E-trex series of receivers. Some of the higher end e-trex models such as the Vista and Legend will perform the basic requirements you are looking for, are closer to your price range but don't have all the bells and whistles of the 60CSX or Colorado.

The GPS will come with a set of 'base' maps containing major roads & highways. You should consider an optional mapping program such as Mapsource Topo 2008. The E-trex series will allow you to download specific regions to the GPS but the 24 mB (of the Vista) will fill quickly and you will only have the capabilities to use one map at a time.
There have been at least 3 models each of the Legend and Vista. The one with 24MB of map memory is obsolete.

All of Garmin's mapping models have basemaps and will allow you to download additional maps into the GPS. Multiple maps can be active simultaneously, but only one will be shown for a specific region (as if you laid several paper maps on top of each other--only the top one will show, but different regions may have different top maps).

Garmin's Topo 2008 covers the entire USA at 1:100K scale. Garmin also sells maps for national parks (including the Whites and DAKS) at 1:25K scale.

I would also recommend a 'x' model. These have an electronic internal dynamic compass and barometric altimiter.
"x" specifies a removable memory card. (Worthwhile, IMO.) "S" specifies electronic compass and barometric altimeter. (IMO, the altimeter is worthwhile, and a mechanical compass is better.)

Also the higher end models contain a SIRF chip which averages your position and can generally place you within 5-20 Ft of your true location.
All of the GPS chipsets have similar accuracy if you have a good skyview and the signals are not blocked. However, trees and terrain block the signals and degrade the performance of the less sensitive units. A high sensitivity unit is well worth the extra cost. Garmin sells units with one of 3 high sensitivity GPS chipsets (SIRF StarIII, MTK, and an internally designed one), as well as older units with less sensitivity.
* SIRF StarIII: 60/76 Cx and CSx
* MTK: H units
* internal: Colorado line

The 60CSx with Garmin Topo 2008 is a common configuration used by VFTTers. (It is a good combo for hiking.)

For a listing of Garmin's mapping handhelds, see https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145. Magellan also sells hiking GPSes, but I haven't followed the details.

Doug

DougPaul said:
* SIRF StarIII: 60/76 Cx and CSx
* MTK: H units
* internal: Colorado line
Any comparisons made out of those three yet ?

Motabobo said:
Any comparisons made out of those three yet ?
Some informal comparisons suggest that the performance of all three are similar.

I've looked at the spec sheets for the SiRF StarIII and the MTK chipsets--they appear to be pretty similar.

Doug