Handheld GPS recommendations

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajtiv

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a GPS handheld device.
Looking at Garmin eTrex Vista and the Garmin Map 76S.
Anyone using one of these?
My big concern is losing signal in the Cats and Daks.
Tell me if your using one and how you like or dislike it.
Or recommend another devise that has worked well in these
areas.
GPS must also have altimeter, barometer, compass, good battery life, software, lightweight, etc.
Yeah I want it all in one
Any advise will help.
Sales people could not offer first hand field reports.:confused:
Thanks in advance for the help.
Al

I have an etrex vista, which I like. If you didn't need the barometric altimeter, I would suggest that you go with the cheaper Etrex Summit (the big difference between the two is the memory onboard and I believe the altimeter.

My only gripe with the etrex and this doesn't have to be Vista specific, is the little click stick which is too fragile, and try to get Garmin to fix it cheaply... I broke mine while it was sitting in the back pocket of my bike jersey. I called Etrex and wanted them to send me the part and they said "nope, you'll have to send it in". Guess what their flat rate "repair" policy is? $125!!!! Yeah, I'll wait til the thing is run into the ground before I pay that kind of money for a cosmetic problem.

So Basically I took off the inner shell and used a needle put to my stove to heat up the head and then drove it into the plastic nub underneath the black covering and now it's almost as good. The techie at Garmin says the unit loses it's waterproofness, but my attitude is since my GPS is not a needed item, I primarily use map and compass and the GPS is a backup as well as neat-toy (tm). I told the guy, I will wait for the unit to come back from the marianna trench and THEN I will send it to you for $125 to fix it. :)

Jay

If you want to save the screen, I would suggest you either talk to an Invincashield installer (www.invincashield.com) and simply ask one if he/she cuts the installation kits from a roll. If one cuts it from a roll, typically an installer will have a TON of leftover sheets. Invincashiels is made by 3M and is a clear roll of thin plastic with adhesive on the one side and is used as a clear automobile bra for cars without the ugly leather/vinyl ones. Anyway, I called a local dealer, to use it as a chainstay protector for my Look full carbon road bike and the guy gave me enough rolls to do almost anything. I did my GPS, I did my Compass, I did my LCD screen on my digicam, I did all 5 of my bikes. I am going to do it for parts of my car soon. I think I have enough to do the small parts like the mirrors, headlights. All for free!

If you want to do something similar to your GPS without contacting the above, you could also use those little sheets that people use for their PDAs. However, they're usually really expensive, the cheapest one I saw was $8 for a closeout, but if you know somebody who uses a PDA (I Don't) you can ask to buy one off of him/her and then cut it yourself.

Great product, you wont ever notice it's there.

Oh, another advantage of this is that if you buy the optional bike holder. (The GPS is a great tool for bike touring, you cannot use the cover that you can get from garmin as the bike holder replaces the battery cover on an etrex and that slides into the holder that attached to the handlebar.

RE; Etrex Summit vrs Vista.. Oops, I meant the Etrex Legend vrs the Vista, the Vista basically has more memory and an Electronic Compass and Altimeter while the Legend does not. Sorry!

Jay

Last edited:
Hi,
I purchased an Etrex Vista in Mid October and have played with it every weekend since (and almost every day).

I can't help you with tree cover, as many of the leaves were down when I started using it, with the exception of hiking along an old railline ROW with 80' Norway Spruces on each side (almost tunnel-like) I could not get a signal except for one satellite directly over head, otherwise the spruces were in the Line of sight.

I did purchase the $15 carry case that goes on a backpack shoulder strap (with the protective clear cover) and it makes it very handy to use and easy to get at.

I have and recommend the Garmin 76S, I also have a GPS12 and have had a Garmin Vista. I wouldn't consider a GPS without the capacity to load topo maps. My problem with the Vista was poor satellite reception, no plug for an external antenna, and a very small screen and buttons. I would agree that it is not a subsitute for a map and compass, but a supplement. I sometimes load a series of waypoints on a planned climb and use the GPS to give me an exact bearing to my next goal(say a col). I do not rely on the pointer arrow, but rather set the indicated direction on my compass, that way if I lose signal, I just revert back to map and compass until I get my signal back. I don't think losing signal is a big problem, you just have to realize that you will probably lose your signal when you are boxed in by terrain and have poor overhead clearance.

I use my GPS for hunting geocaches, making my own maps, general off trail travel and tracking and documenting search and rescue missions. When I first got my GPS, I encountered problems and dismissed it as an unreliable gadget. It is a lot like a two way radio, in that you have to use it enough to understand when it will perform and when you are likely to encounter problems. You have to use it a lot to really be good with it. I generally use rechargable batteries, but in the extreme cold that we have been having, they do not last long. If I have to have continuous coverage (such as a search), I will spring for the expensive AA lithium batteries in the extreme cold, but mostly I switch to alkaline batteries and carry it next to my body, turned off, and only turn it on occasionally when I need to check my position or bearing to my goal. You can use an external antenna and carry it next to your body, but I had problems with the cable getting snagged. I've broken two antennas and I broke the plug to my unit, so now I mostly use the antenna just in my vehicle.

I have an eTrex Summit which has everything you want. I like it. There are no built-in maps, but I decided that the screen resolution was insufficient for any map detail when hiking. If I want map navigation in my car, I hook up the GPS to mp laptop and use detailed mapping software to navigate.

I have not had many problems losing signal in the 'daks with the Summit. I carry it in the top pocket of my pack which gives it a good look at the sky. In ravines you will lose some satellites, but even the best GPS can’t see through rock.

I concur with the suggestion of covering the screen with some protective material. I cut a piece of heavy, clear packing tape to cover the screen. So far, it’s held up well. Hopefully the tape glue won’t interact with the screen plastic. I may replace it with a PDA screen protector.

Vista

I have the Vista. It's major advantage is the mapping ability, which drives the more expensive hi-res screen (as compared to other eTrex GPSs).

The unit is great - small, light, and well designed.

Note that the LCD screen is sluggish in cold weather.

I don't have a big problem with signal loss in the mountains, but it's all dependant on the exact terrain you travel. Ridges and wide valleys: no problems. Bouldering and foraging through canyons will result in substantial problems with any gps.

All in all, a worth while investment - not as a navigation "necessity", but rather a "travel telemetry" device.

the wall......

All the members of our SAR dog unit use the Vista, which the unit provides for our use. The Maptech software that we use allows us to see our tracks on a topo map, in the field, as we search. (Then we download the tracks on the search manager's laptop when we come in -- no more "guesstimating" on whether you've covered your assignment or not. ;)) We also project waypoints to set corners for our areas. (You could do that without the map software, but it's more cumbersome to do without it.) The mapping software is also nice for locating a bailout route in a hurry sometimes.

I've used an eTrex (the original one) and some other Garmin and Magellan models in the past. If I were to buy a GPS for personal use these days, I'd want something with a larger screen than the Vista's. The Vista map screen is tough for seeing fine details, especially at night (even with the new bifocals. :rolleyes: ) An external antenna option would also be nice; I miss having one.

Coverage in the trees is sometimes spotty, but one learns to live with it and move on. Make sure that the software is kept up-to-date with the latest online downloads from Garmin. The early software was pretty buggy. Plan on using lots of batteries, and I'd recommend lithium in cold weather. I wear mine in a small case on top of my pack shoulder strap, to maximize satellite coverage and minimize damage to the unit.

p.s. Just remembered something that I don't understand but probably could be explained by either advanced quantum physics or voodoo. Use the cigarette lighter cord, not batteries, to power your unit as you approach the trailhead parking lot. Switch to battery power only after the unit has acquired a good fix and you're ready to head out. I can't explain it, we just do it because it seems to result in a quicker initial fix (and, some say, easier acquisition out in the field???)

Last edited:
Lots of good info....try this site for more:

thanks everone for sharing there experiences and thoughts.
Inthink I will spend the money for the Garmin 76S, for the better antenna and larger screen.
I too use map and compass, but do more solos and in new areas thought this might be good insurance.
thanks again see you in the mtns.
Al