Quick question on the Garmin 60CSx handheld GPS

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Using a Larger card in the 60CSx

I see there is some debate and confusion on transferring the maps between Micro-SD cards. I would like to have the option of using a larger capacity card to store tracks, waypoints, and POI's. Maybe someone has a trick I haven't tried. This is what I have tried.

1) I bought the "Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K map with the "Northeast" (this includes CT, MA, ME, NJ, NH, NY, PA, RI, & VT) preprogrammed on the card (2 Gig).

2) I then formatted a new 4Gig card, and transferred all files from the 2Gig card to the 4Gig card, making an exact copy. The only difference is the size of the card. So far, so good.

3) I then put the 4 Gig card into the GPS and fired the sucker up. It took a lot longer to get off the start page, I contributed this to the device being exposed to a card twice as large then the original. I also noticed a bar graph on the bottom of the start up page slowly counting from 0% to 100%. This bar is not displayed when using the 2 Gig card. After all this happens, a message is displayed stating the GPS "Cannot Unlock the map". The funny thing is this map is not locked (according to Garmin).

I have hooked the GPS with the 4Gig card installed to the computer and tried to "Unlock" the map using Mapsource/Basecamp. No "Unlock" code was supplied with the card, but if you poke around the data on the card, you can find the unlock code. I think I found this through one of the Basecamp options. While it excepted the "unlock code", It did not change anything in the long run.

Meanwhile, I can take the 4 Gig card out of the GPS and connect it to my computer, and have Mapsource and/or Basecamp read, display, and manipulate the map info as I wish.

4) Next, I figure I can transfer the map using Mapsource/Basecamp using the GPS connected directly to the computer via the USB port.
This option is not available. It's either turned off in the software, or when I found a work around, such as highlighting the data folder on the 2 Gig card and dropping it into the GPS data folder (using the Basecamp interface), it won't transfer the data.

I have tried this with the GPS in "normal" status, and as the GPS programmed as a "USB MASS STORAGE" device, programmed via the "Interface" option. No joy on either.

So...now I have the original 2Gig card with the preprogrammed data installed in the GPS, (using it happily) and I use the 4Gig copy on my computer for working with Mapsource / Basecamp. This option does keep the data on the GPS at a minimum. I only transfer the routes and waypoints as needed for that upcoming hike.

I also use National Geographic's "TOPO" with all the New England State on USGS 7.5 minute maps (at the highest zoom level). Unfortunately, most of the 7.5 minutes maps are 15-20-30 years old. While the mountains don't move (that much), the trails, roads and other man made things do). I also have a N.G. "Trails Illustrated Explorer 3D (v4.3..7). Better, but limited to the White Mountains only. I'm just learning the ins & outs of exporting routes.

I'm still playing with it from time to time, only because I can't have a piece of hardware/software beat me!!! ;)

See You on the Trail....Thinking of new ways of hacking my GPS :D ...Walker

PS.. The exact response from Garmin was...
Thank you for contacting Garmin International.
I would be happy to assist you with this.
If the original Topo 24K map was purchased on a pre-programmed SD card, it can not be moved to a larger SD card.
I apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sorry for the long winded post.

Last edited:
...I just learning the ins & outs of exporting routes.

That's fairly straightforward - the .gpx (where x=exchange) is the format to move data between programs.

I have the NG Topo 4.5.2, and the best option (at least for me) is to import the data as a route.

I see there is some debate and confusion on transferring the maps between Micro-SD cards. I would like to have the option of using a larger capacity card to store tracks, waypoints, and POI's. Maybe someone has a trick I haven't tried. This is what I have tried.

1) I bought the "Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K map with the "Northeast" (this includes CT, MA, ME, NJ, NH, NY, PA, RI, & VT) preprogrammed on the card (2 Gig).

2) I then formatted a new 4Gig card, and transferred all files from the 2Gig card to the 4Gig card, making an exact copy. The only difference is the size of the card. So far, so good.

3) I then put the 4 Gig card into the GPS and fired the sucker up. It took a lot longer to get off the start page, I contributed this to the device being exposed to a card twice as large then the original. I also noticed a bar graph on the bottom of the start up page slowly counting from 0% to 100%. This bar is not displayed when using the 2 Gig card. After all this happens, a message is displayed stating the GPS "Cannot Unlock the map". The funny thing is this map is not locked (according to Garmin).

I have hooked the GPS with the 4Gig card installed to the computer and tried to "Unlock" the map using Mapsource/Basecamp. No "Unlock" code was supplied with the card, but if you poke around the data on the card, you can find the unlock code. I think I found this through one of the Basecamp options. While it excepted the "unlock code", It did not change anything in the long run.

Meanwhile, I can take the 4 Gig card out of the GPS and connect it to my computer, and have Mapsource and/or Basecamp read, display, and manipulate the map info as I wish.

4) Next, I figure I can transfer the map using Mapsource/Basecamp using the GPS connected directly to the computer via the USB port.
This option is not available. It's either turned off in the software, or when I found a work around, such as highlighting the data folder on the 2 Gig card and dropping it into the GPS data folder (using the Basecamp interface), it won't transfer the data.

I have tried this with the GPS in "normal" status, and as the GPS programmed as a "USB MASS STORAGE" device, programmed via the "Interface" option. No joy on either.

So...now I have the original 2Gig card with the preprogrammed data installed in the GPS, (using it happily) and I use the 4Gig copy on my computer for working with Mapsource / Basecamp. This option does keep the data on the GPS at a minimum. I only transfer the routes and waypoints as needed for that upcoming hike.
As I explained in my discussion with Tim, the data is locked to the card. The GPS will refuse to use the same data from any other physical device. This is one of the reasons for buying your maps on DVD/CDROMs...

I keep all my mapping data on [hard] disk for use with my computer programs to ensure fast and consistent access.

I also use National Geographic's "TOPO" with all the New England State on USGS 7.5 minute maps (at the highest zoom level). Unfortunately, most of the 7.5 minutes maps are 15-20-30 years old. While the mountains don't move (that much), the trails, roads and other man made things do). I also have a N.G. "Trails Illustrated Explorer 3D (v4.3..7). Better, but limited to the White Mountains only. I just learning the ins & outs of exporting routes.
Some suggestions:
1) Use the GPX file format. GPSBabel, MapSource, the more recent NG TOPOs, and text editors (it is XML text) can all read and write this format. (To read and write GPX from NG TOPO, use the "Handheld" button, not the "File" button.)
2) The world changes and your maps will not auto-magically update. Get used to it and/or spend a lot of money on frequent updates. (Regular updates are often available for road maps and marine charts, but not topos.) Also your maps will have errors.
3) If you want accurate trails, get recent GPS tracks from a reliable source. (Professionally generated tracks are generally better than tracks from some random hiker which may have accuracy problems.) Professional tracks for the WMNF are available--see http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38643 (These tracks can be used in your GPS, MapSource, and NG TOPO. To load them into your GPS an named tracks, they have to be shrunken down to 500 points--either GPSBabel or MapSource can do this.) Once you start using GPS tracks, you may find that other features on the map are "out of place".
4) Modern consumer GPSes have a nominal accuracy of 95% chance of being within 10 meters of the correct location when used properly and in good signal conditions. Hikers often don't use them properly (optimally) and the woods often do not offer good signal conditions. These errors are often big enough to be visible to users.

Doug

That's fairly straightforward - the .gpx (where x=exchange) is the format to move data between programs.

I have the NG Topo 4.5.2, and the best option (at least for me) is to import the data as a route.
NG TOPO 4.5.0 will load tracks in GPX format as tracks by going through the "Handheld" button. No routes required...

I can simultaneously load all 395 WMNF GIS tracks into either MapSource or NG TOPO.

Doug

NG TOPO 4.5.0 will load tracks in GPX format as tracks by going through the "Handheld" button. No routes required...
Doug

This is one of those "yes, but ..." instances - by default NG will import the GPX file as waypoints, which instantly creates a very busy map as NG will display the track with the coordinates of each trackpoint displayed. You can turn this display off within Topo but it's an extra step. Since I use NG mostly to print pretty maps, I'd rather it draw a route rather than display waypoints. I waste enough time in NG trying to get it centered, moving the margins for optimal display, etc, without any more steps.

On the subject of NG - a few weeks ago I noticed that their MapXchange server was down, and the error msg said it might be a permanent situation. Not a good PR ploy if you hope to stay in business.

Last edited:
This is one of those "yes, but ..." instances - by default NG will import the GPX file as waypoints, which instantly creates a very busy map as NG will display the track with the coordinates of each trackpoint displayed. You can turn this display off within Topo but it's an extra step. Since I use NG mostly to print pretty maps, I'd rather it draw a route rather than display waypoints. I waste enough time in NG trying to get it centered, moving the margins for optimal display, etc, without any more steps.
I don't know if it is a version difference or not, but I am presented with the option of displaying them as waypoints or "freehand routes". Same number of steps either way.

I agree plotting them as waypoints is ugly.

On the subject of NG - a few weeks ago I noticed that their MapXchange server was down, and the error msg said it might be a permanent situation. Not a good PR ploy if you hope to stay in business.
IIRC, when I bought my last copy, I had the option of buying a product with built-in static maps or a product which used a map server. (Maybe the one with maps was discontinued but still in stock or simply cost more--don't recall for certain.) I bought the one with maps to protect against the above.

Doug

... I bought the one with maps to protect against the above.

Doug

As did I. However, the software has (had?) to ability to update the version release, and individual quadrants. I found that nearly all the quadrants have had at least once update since I've purchased the product, but that may be no more. You could define the size of the quadrants - up to 100x100 miles.

In order to see the screen, I had to reduce the 'map detail' setting of the 60CSx considerably (yes, that setting is there, somewhere, if you are patient and look thru a bazillion menu settings).

For anyone seeking to find this option - start off by going to the map page. Hit Menu, then choose Setup Map and press Entr. There will be 6 icons across the top. Choose the one on the far left. For me it looks like 4 red arrows and an "N." "Detail" is the second option from the bottom.

I also recommend "Declutter" which is an option off the first Menu on the map screen. Turn it off when looking for a point of interest, but otherwise leave it on for clarity.

This is like going back to school:eek: I have been geocaching with my daughter the last two days to get hands-on knowledge of my Garmin Oregon 450t. I'm starting to get the hang of it, but it's hard to teach this old dog new tricks.

We tried to download topo maps for the Northeastern U.S. from www.gpsfiledepot.com, but did not succeed. Help.

I have on several occasions e-mailed Garmin with (often stupid, I guess) questions and they have always replied the next day. I downloaded the manual, but it's just not 'intuitive' for me unlike for young people who were brought up, not only with the technology, but also with the graphics. Pictogrammes mean nothing to me.

I am impressed with the technology - if a little intimidated by it and will persevere. :)

We tried to download topo maps for the Northeastern U.S. from www.gpsfiledepot.com, but did not succeed. Help.
I have downloaded several files without difficulty. I presume you are talking about the "Northeast Topo United States Part {1,2,3} of 3 Map". I have downloaded all three in the past. Just tried downloading a part of Part 1 with no difficulty. (I aborted the download since it was just a test--no need to download 500+MB for a test.) Used Firefox (on Linux).

I don't use MS OSes and Internet Explorer, but have heard of problems due to downloading such files in text mode--make sure you are downloading in binary mode. (Others should be able to help you on this if it is an issue.)

Doug