White Mtn Nat Forest Trailhead parking options!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frytz

Reaction score
There are more payment options for trailheads within the WNF than I thought. Checks are acceptable at self-service sites.
Best of all, Golden Eagle Passports ($65 a year) are good in lieu of fees, and Golden Age Passports ($10 for LIFE for those 62 or older) are also good. Needless to say, I purchased a Golden Age Pass the day I found out it existed, and I want to pass on the information to all my fellow "senior" hikers. The pass is also good for free admission (including family) at all National Parks, NFS, BLM and TVA sites. It also provides 50% discounts for campgrounds, boat launches, swim sites. etc! The Golden Age must be purchased in person at NPS, NFS, BLM sites with proof of age. Golden Passport is available by phone 877-465-2727
or online
www.orders.com/nfs/requestinfo/cfm

Below is the communication from the WMNF.

Fred

>Dear Mr. Hafele,
In responding to your inquiries, YES the Golden Age Passport is valid for parking in
the
White Mountain National Forest. There is no need for parking fees when
the
Passport is displayed on your dashboard or hanging from you rear view
mirror. We have a plastic hanger free of charge when you stop by a
Ranger
Station. And YES checks are accepted at self-service area. Make
checks
out to USDA-Forest Service. If you have additional question, you may
respond using the below E-mail address.

e-mail: [email protected]

Phillip J. Piscopo
Administrative Support
Pemigewasset Ranger District
RFD#3, Box 15, Rte. 175
Plymouth, NH 03264-9103
phone:603-536-1315
fax: 603-536-5147

Thanks for the addition!

Thanks Dave for the additional info! Many of us hike in the Whites from afar! I do, although I have been hiking there regularly, but not often enough, for 40 years! I am completely willing to pay the fees, but didn't want to buy a 7 day pass, if none of the trails I planned on using are fee areas! I usually bought 1 or 2
7 day passes each summer for my sparse 2-3 weeks in the Whites!
I would have moved to northern NH on retiring, except that my wife prefers Florida or South Carolina! Now NJ is a hell of a lot closer to NH than either of those (and does have mountain hiking nearby), we stay in NJ!

Fred

Since my wife is permanently disabled (multiple sclerosis), she was able to obtain a Golden Access Passport. It is free and is good for her lifetime. It covers her and anyone in the same non-commercial vehicle. The pass is valid at Federal entrance fee areas. We picked it up at the Skyline Drive Entrance Station in Virginia a number of years ago. On our motorcycle trip around the country, we visited at least a dozen National parks and probably saved in excess of $100 in entrance fees. She as the passport signee is also entitled to 50% discount on other use fees such as federal campgrounds etc.

A major advantage of the golden eagle card is that it does not have to be permanently affixed to the vehicle (unlike the WMNF parking passes). This makes it a lot more portable for those people who use rental cars.