SE 5Ks Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
I just read in the Forest Fire Lookout Association Magazine, that only 1 person, (Peter Barr), has done all the 5,000' peaks of the SE USA.

Are there reasons, (besides being laid back southerners? :eek: :D ), that this might be more difficult than it sounds?

Not that I even looked, but how many 4K's, 5K's and 6K's are there?

Tom Rankin said:
I just read in the Forest Fire Lookout Association Magazine, that only 1 person, (Peter Barr), has done all the 5,000' peaks of the SE USA.

Are there reasons, (besides being laid back southerners? :eek: :D ), that this might be more difficult than it sounds?

Not that I even looked, but how many 4K's, 5K's and 6K's are there?
I spoke with Lee Barry who got relocated down south after finisihing the Adirondack 3s with 300 ft col in the 70s

He said that he starter bagging SEUS 4s. There are quite a few. I don't recall but thought he said 500-700. He said that he stopped with less than 100 to go because he ran across a boobie trapped area protecting a pot plantation. :eek: He feared for his life and concluded his summit list wasn't worth it. Now there is a dramatic realization to make in the field!

Also he explained that many many of the summits are covered with stickers bushes (brambles?) So much so that he developed the required "outfit" including thick thorn resistant clothing, gloves, and a full facemask. I thought of some of those Catskill 100 like Whiteman et al. times 400. :eek: Now there's a challenging list!