Franconia Notch Swimming Hole

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

A couple friends of mine are in town for the weekend, and I am planning a Saturday trip over Franconia Ridge. One prerequisite of the hike was a good swim on the way home.

We will be heading south towards Mass on 93 post hike, with a stop at the Woodstock Station for a few beers after the hike.

Any suggestions as to where a good swimming hole is on this route?

Thanks,

Bryan

Just dont jump off Indian Leap in North Woodstock ;) The East Branch of the Pemi has some nice swimming holes near Lincoln. -Mattl

Combo Stop:

Truant's Tavern
Location: At the lights, Rt 3 and 112, North Woodstock, west off exit 32.
Telephone: 603/745-2239
"A favorite of locals and travelers alike." Serving lunch and dinner.

Park in their lot around back. There's a good spot on the river there that we saw some locals using this past week.

Chip said:
Combo Stop:

Truant's Tavern
Location: At the lights, Rt 3 and 112, North Woodstock, west off exit 32.
Telephone: 603/745-2239
"A favorite of locals and travelers alike." Serving lunch and dinner.

Park in their lot around back. There's a good spot on the river there that we saw some locals using this past week.
Just be careful, someone drowned near there recently in the high water.

At the Tripoli exit along route 175 there are a few spots. Also, bob&geri and I are doing Skookumchuck to Liberty on Saturday so I will keep a look out for your group. I'll be the one wearing a kilt.

MadRiver said:
At the Tripoli exit along route 175 there are a few spots. Also, bob&geri and I are doing Skookumchuck to Liberty on Saturday so I will keep a look out for your group. I'll be the one wearing a kilt.

Cool... I'll keep my eyes open for the kilt!

I'll be leading the pack, with a couple from NYC straggling behind. Should be a good show.

We hope to hit the trail near 9/9:30AM.

Last edited:
We are starting at 8:00am after a car spot at Whitehouse. The Skookumchuck is a longer ascent so we need an early start.

Everyone is understandably gung-ho to get back into the mountains, jump into swimming holes, and so forth after the long deluge and the promising last two days of sun. But there may be one more little blip on the radar--60% chance of t-storms in Franconia tomorrow and Saturday morning. With four recent deaths in fast and deep water, NH officials are warning that it aint over 'til it's over, as in this excerpt from WMNF website posted today:

"....Warning! Updated 14 August, 1400: After some relatively dry days, heavy rain is expected in parts of New Hampshire on Friday, 15 August.This means that conditions in and around the Forest are still potentially dangerous. Velocity and flow of rivers and streams have increased; streams that are normally low this time of year are very high, with flash flooding always possible. Drownings have already occurred, and Forest visitors are urged to use extreme caution around any stream or river, including stream banks, fords, and bridges. Swimming in fast moving water should be considered a high risk activity....."

Also, dams are being opened to draw down high water levels.

Look for a pond or lake if the rain starts up again.

Last edited: