Moose shot and killed in Worchester

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sedating and moving a large animal is expensive, dangerous for the people involved, and often fatal to the animal. It's not an exact science, dosages aren't simple, and like humans, all animal react differently to sedation. Upon waking up animals can lash out if not restrained, and if restrained can panic and severely injure themselves. Local cops and game officials aren't trained to do this kind of operation.

Unless it's a rare or endangered animal most places won't relocate a animal like this.

David Metsky said:
Sedating and moving a large animal is expensive, dangerous for the people involved, and often fatal to the animal. It's not an exact science, dosages aren't simple, and like humans, all animal react differently to sedation. Upon waking up animals can lash out if not restrained, and if restrained can panic and severely injure themselves. Local cops and game officials aren't trained to do this kind of operation.

Unless it's a rare or endangered animal most places won't relocate a animal like this.

thanks Dave,
thats what i was looking for. im not familiar with sedation and removal of animals. im sure that the crew in worcester is not really able to handle this, i would not imagine it happens often enough in the city. i do understand that i can get expensive. hope he was good eatin'!

Quietman said:
The news report I heard (WMUR?) said that they couldn't sedate and release the moose this close to hunting season because the drugs would still be in the moose's system and could affect people eating the meat.

I can see the ads now

"Moose! Its whats for dinner." (followed by rapidly spoken...)

"Caution do not consume with alcohol or while operating machinery or driving. keep away from children and pregnant women."

mookie said:
i guess its not really an objection to shooting the moose, more of a question as to why they couldnt just sedate and move(other than the cost issue of doing such).

Isn't it illegal to relocate wildlife in Mass?

In Maine, moose and deer killed by motorists or wardens are given to the local soup kitchen if the motorist doesn't want it.

Of all ends, this would have been the best. I'm sure the sportsman's club members are fairly well-fed already.

Pamola said:
In Maine, moose and deer killed by motorists or wardens are given to the local soup kitchen if the motorist doesn't want it.

Of all ends, this would have been the best. I'm sure the sportsman's club members are fairly well-fed already.
I'll bet few soup kitchens are equipped to butcher a moose in MA. Most sportsman's clubs, however, do work with groups like Hunt to Feed or Hunter's for the Hungry, so the meat may well end up at a soup kitchen, afterall.

Chip said:
They sedate and relocate here still, but many communities are getting away from that as 1) it makes the animal someone elses problem and 2) most of the time the removed animal returns or is immediately replaced by another of it's kind.

Whoa (whoa), wait a minute: You mean if a moose wanders onto Belmont Street and you shoot it, another will just take its place? What are they, La Resistance? Do they have Letters of Transit? "Reek! You must help me! REEK!"

Also, I heard that if you drive a moose far enough away, it won't be able to find its way back. Just get it out of Worcester County, say, into Springfield or North Adams, and it'll be lost enough to stay gone. And who's gonna permanently relocate to Springfield or North Adams? Really?

I just feel like there's a detached moose deity somewhere asking the human race "That's all you got? Shoot it and pretend it's meat makes it all okay?" Like we're pre-Columbian Algonquin, not wasting a single bit.

That said, what's a public safety officer to do? I sure wouldn't want to be on 290 when that obstacle course wanders out.

I'm glad we've had this little chat. Clears everything up.

--M. said:
Whoa (whoa), wait a minute: You mean if a moose wanders onto Belmont Street and you shoot it, another will just take its place? What are they, La Resistance? Do they have Letters of Transit? "Reek! You must help me! REEK!"
:D I've been watching Casablanca on PBS lately also, excellent. ;)

That comment of mine relates more to territorial animals, like bear. I don't know if bull moose maintain a territory, per se. Bottom line is there's really no great place to relocate large animals to that's practical in states like CT, MA & RI.

bikehikeskifish said:
I am from Springfield. A lot of my family still live there. Phffft to you! ;)

Tim

I congratulate you, sir! To have come from such beginnings and achieved such heights: well done!

Just kidding. I would have slandered Holyoke or West Brookfield if I had thought of them first, so there you go. At least you're not from Great Barrington!