Looking for hiking guide+maps for Adirondacks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Technetium

Reaction score
AMC makes a really nice guide for the White Mountains in NH, which comes with 3 double-sided fold-out maps. I was wondering if there is anything like it for the Adirondacks. My brother mentioned that he had seen a guide somewhere that has maps included.

Alternately, I'd be interested in buying separately a good text guide and waterproof maps. Those paper maps that came with the AMC guide didn't last more than a year.

Any suggestions?

The Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) has a series of trail guides for the different regions of the park. They include maps, although not waterproof. They're widely available in most book stores and outdoor stores like EMS in Lake Placid and the Mountaineer in Keene Valley and throughout the region. They're also available online - http://www.adk.org/new_store/category.aspx?categoryID=37

National Geographic produces waterproof maps that have the corresponding trail numbers.

An alternative to the ADK guides is the Discover the Adirondacks series. My limited experience with the Discover the High Peaks edition is that it is not as up-to-date as the ADK guide. But, there is more information on hiking the "unmarked, unmaintained" trails and slides.
I believe these have Tyvek maps sold separately. This series is also available at the same sort of retails outlets and online at http://www.hiketheadirondacks.com/page.php?id=Discover_the_Adirondacks_Series

Good luck and great hiking in N.Y.:)

Last edited:
maps

I have all of them, you buy the high peaks book and get the map in the back, lots of reading, then i have the adirondacks edition, its only $5.00 and is nice for your wall at work to stare at, then i have the NG map(waterproof) and I really like that for that fact...you can pack it and it never rips, tears or gets wet..all worth while investments as you never know the weather...If your a adk member you can get there book cheaper...

I have the ADK map that isn't waterproof and the McMartin map which is but it's hard to read as it's pretty tiny and it's also in metric...

Jay

I like the National Geographic maps of the Adirondack Park. The McMartin "Discover" series guides are wonderful. But for me, the real dynamite combination(s) are the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) guidebook and map series, augmented by appropriate USGS topo maps where greater detail is required. Not only that, sales of the ADK guides help support an organization that does a lot of good work in protecting the region.

G.