Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: forced to bareboot by MSRs

Yay!!! I'm not crazy!!! I'm happy to hear that I'm not imagining that the track is sometimes too narrow for my Tubbs, and that it is becoming more frequent.

Well, if these narrower shoes are the coming trend, then so be it. A few suggestions here make sense for those of us who are aware and are considerate enough to simply widen the stance a few inches, because that's all it would take.

I know it's a bit odd and not neccessary, but I take pride in leaving a nice track for the next hikers. I wouldn't expect this of others but it sure would be nice. In New England the fresh fluffy powder doesn't last long, so widening a narrow track is brutal on the joints once the snow hardens.

It's all good and we should be free to use whatever type we like, but maybe try to make it work for each other if we can.

happy trails
    Last edited by forestgnome; 12-29-2008 at 07:12 PM.

I have two working pairs of snowshoes. Both are Tubbs Altitudes, retrofitted with the Viper crampons. One pair is 30" and the other is a 25".

Yes, I do have problems fitting in many narrow gauge tracks with the 30" when using these... but, the the benefits when I get to powder and/or unsupportive/softer tracks outweighs the inconvenience when using the narrower broken track and having to "widen it" when using it.

I have been using the smaller 25" Tubbs more often in the last few years and these fit much better in the narrower tracks.

Having two options is a benefit to me when assessing conditions at a trail head.... and/or after a big storm of powdery snow...

Deerfield, NH Avatar: Attempt on Nubble 11/17/07
    I believe it is not so much the narrow snowshoes as it is the short snowshoes. When I wear my 22" MSR's the back of the lead shoe is out beyond the front of my rear shoe and I tend to walk in a normal bare boot stride. When I wear my 30" Tubbs I have to keep my feet apart or I step on my own shoe. So even though my MSR's are a total of 1 inch narrower than the Tubbs, my MSR track is much narrower than my Tubbs track. I think someone wearing the new 8X21 inch mountaineer Tubbs will also make a narrow track.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmanwinter View Post
    I believe it is not so much the narrow snowshoes as it is the short snowshoes. When I wear my 22" MSR's the back of the lead shoe is out beyond the front of my rear shoe and I tend to walk in a normal bare boot stride. When I wear my 30" Tubbs I have to keep my feet apart or I step on my own shoe. So even though my MSR's are a total of 1 inch narrower than the Tubbs, my MSR track is much narrower than my Tubbs track. I think someone wearing the new 8X21 inch mountaineer Tubbs will also make a narrow track.
    This is great thinking. It is true, girth and length make the difference together, in snowshoes too!
    Cory D
    “I don’t know if momma was right or if it’s Lieutenant Dan. I don’t know if we each have a destiny… or if we're all floating around accidental like.. on a breeze. But, I think… maybe it’s both… maybe both are happening at the same time.” –Forrest Gump.

I don't get it....

I use 36 inch snowshoes whenever there is snow in the forecast or there is bushwhacking to do (I use 30s on well used trails with no snow in the forecast)

They have ALWAYS been too wide for a freshly broken trail....so I have to suck it up and break some more of the trail using half of the left shoe for a while and then half of the right shoe.

But barebooting in the center of trail would create post holes...

The only alternative I can think of is using skis, but the trail has to be fairly level.

Quote Originally Posted by Remix View Post
    The only alternative I can think of is using skis, but the trail has to be fairly level.
    Which leave an even narrower track...

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Remix View Post
    I don't get it....

I use 36 inch snowshoes whenever there is snow in the forecast or there is bushwhacking to do (I use 30s on well used trails with no snow in the forecast)

They have ALWAYS been too wide for a freshly broken trail....so I have to suck it up and break some more of the trail using half of the left shoe for a while and then half of the right shoe.

But barebooting in the center of trail would create post holes...

Not for nothing, but I always try to do this when the conditions allow. It does make the track wider, and easier in the long run. I do wish that if there is a group of ten, not everyone walked in the exact same spot. However, that's trying to mandate a position that just isn't going to happen.

It does make sense to have the tallest guy go first (sorry Tim!).

Quote Originally Posted by dug View Post
    It does make sense to have the tallest guy go first (sorry Tim!).
    No you're not. But that's OK.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by John H Swanson View Post

Concerning steep terrain and other factors effecting footgear selection, in general, if you are not postholing, it is okay to not wear the snowshoes. Of course if you get a ranger with a stick up his/her ___, then you need to suck up and explain how you thought crampons were okay, but are very willing to put on the showshoes you have with you if (s)he likes. This arguement won't work if you just postholed the trail to ___. I have passed and been passed by many rangers bare booting on the rock hard boiler plate trail from the Loj to Marcy dam without a second look.
    Has anyone here ever been fined for barebooting in the DAKS?
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by skiguy View Post
    Has anyone here ever been fined for barebooting in the DAKS?
    Oh, you bet! (that means yes)
    "I've been kicked by the wind, robbed by the sleet, had my head snowed in, and I'm still on my feet, and I'm still,...willin"

Holderness, NH, Avatar: Pine Marten on Mt Field
    I had a very good friend with whom I used to do a lot of snowshoeing. He was 5'5" and 140# soaking wet, I'm 6'3" and 225#. His snowshoes were a Tubbs only 24" and left a much narrower track than my 36" Tubbs mountaineers. The little bugger was no help at all in breaking out a trail, and he was in better shape so he was always ahead of me. I had him shot.
    WNH4K:48/48, SLAT50:50/50, NEHH:100/100, NE115:115/115,
    TW72:60/72, WADK46: 18/46, 52WAV:16/52, Cat35:9/35(39)

Deerfield, NH Avatar: Attempt on Nubble 11/17/07
    Quote Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
    The little bugger was no help at all in breaking out a trail, and he was in better shape so he was always ahead of me. I had him shot.
    I hope you left the body (with his snowshoes on) where others could see and learn from this.

I sympathize with your dilemma.
    BUT The Denalis are the shoe of choice among mountaineers and thats not going to chage for good reasons.
    My Sherpas have been sitting in the rack in my hiking room for 5 years....
    The Denals with flotation tails are fine for me 270 pounds with full winter pack. This year the crust probaly hardened around the Denali print causing the problem.
    Its frustrating Its tough enough out there without other things coming up.
    I would however arrest postholers or make them walk barefoot the last mile to the car.
    CS/BMT
    Climbing Stallion/BMT

Whose woods these are, I think I know. His house is in the village tho. Would He not mind If I climb on, to watch His woods fill up with snow? R. Frost (paraphrased)undefined