mt lafayette - sunday - better late than never

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MindlessMariachi

Reaction score
This trip report dates to sunday Jan 4th and I'm writing it now on the "better late than never" theory.

The trip also got started a little late, for a really dumb reason: I arranged to meet Mardi (Fat Tuesday) at a park and ride in Andover Mass at 6:30 a.m. so we could carpool together. I was about halfway there when I suddenly had a vision of my shell jacket, hanging from a chair in my kitchen. "I'm probably going to need that," I thought, and drove all the way home to get it. I eventually linked up with Mardi and her friends, and my friend Nick at a bagel joint in Concord NH. By the time we got to the trailhead, our other intended partners, bikehikeskifish and old man, were headed up the trail.

So with the wind howling through Franconia Notch, Mardi, Nick and I spent the obligatory 15 minutes fiddling with gear before setting off.

The whole way, the skies became less and less cloudy. Different parts of the mountain (below treeline) had some wind, but generally speaking, it was pretty mild. Crampons were useful for a few small stretches, but microspikes would've been more than enough.

Above treeline the wind was pretty sustained and strong. I gather that you start to have trouble walking when it hits 40 mph or so, so that must've been about what it was. We had to shout at each other to be heard, and be careful planting our feet. My snowshoes (strapped to my pack and never used) started to act like a sail, and I thought I was going to be carried off to Oz, so I left them under a few big rocks. We finally hit the summit and hung out for a few minutes because, despite the wind, it really wasn't terribly cold.

Meanwhile, the eastern sky was totally clear, and there were no clouds over Franconia Ridge. The views were amazing. To the west, the clouds were generally below the summit, making for a nice white-carpet effect.

photos are here:
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2253192&id=417884&saved=#/album.php?aid=2253192&id=417884

The weather got clearer and calmer as we hiked down the bridle path (the way we came up) and we hung out in the sun on the hut porch for a few mintues too.
We ended things up with a LOT of cheese at the common man and headed home.

oops - sorry - didn't realize they weren't viewable by all - if someone could give me a quick tutorial for how to make them show up here in the message I'll do that. It's rare to see Franconia Ridge so clear in January!

It is possible to share the pictures with non-facebook members!

Access the album that you'd like to share. At the very bottom of the page, you should see a link that says "Show people this album by sending them this public link" - This is the one that you need to post.

Hope this helps... :)

It is possible to share the pictures with non-facebook members!

Access the album that you'd like to share. At the very bottom of the page, you should see a link that says "Show people this album by sending them this public link" - This is the one that you need to post.

Hope this helps... :)

Nice, I didn't know that. Thanks!

I vaguely remember a "K" too. Hmm...

I'll add my coin. As Tom said, the Notch was blustery, cloudy and cold, and that ominous winter weather low level fear stuck with me for a while though the forecast was excellent. Clouds were moving fast and exposing clear blue sky as we hiked, and still, just passed the hut, I felt the need to put on an absurd amount of layers (down jacket and goretex pants) before going above treeline. The layers turned out to be unecessary, but they made me feel safe. And I suppose they allowed me to linger longer in comfort on the summit.

On the way up I was a total drag to the guys. Every step took effort in the wind (5'8" and 135 lbs) and I fell down twice due to gusts opportunistically preying on my missteps. The first fall occurred when Tom put his snowshoes under a rock in the single windiest spot on the mt- a turn in the trail a few hundred yards below the summit.

Anyway, Tom and Nick were kind enough to let me walk in between them so at least they would know if I blew away.

As stated, we had incredible views of the sunset over Cannon, the Kinsmans and Moosilauke on the way down.

It is humbling, sobering, inspiring and life-giving to be above treeline in winter. I love it!!

Last edited: