Catskill Snow Conditions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
Hi All,
Might be heading up to do some long-overdo hiking this weekend and was wondering if anyone was aware of what the snow conditions at higher elevations is like in the Catskills now. Anyone been up to the tops of any peaks recently? Snowshoes a must? Crampons enough?
I know things could change by the time I get there this weekend.
Thanks a lot!

There is also a heavy crust under the 6-12" of snow on top.Also some drifts.Snow shoes a must or just have Coldfeet bring a shovel or better yet, a cordless snowblower.:D

Giant Ledge

I was just up on Giant Ledge today. Planned on going to Panther but it was way too cold for me (some days you just aren't in the coooold groove. I snowshoed the entire way and had to break trail through about a fresh 8 - 12 inches of snow. Some spots were caused by snow gusts near the ridge. I would suggest snowshoes and perhaps crampons (although I am not sure you will need them perhaps on higher elevations and trails on eastern terminus on mtns as there are still icy patches. I've been staying in Mt. Tremper for most of this winter and plan to go out again tomorrow to do some hiking. I will post on trail conditions again.

It was fun decending as there were a few steeper sections that made it possible for us to glissad a bit, a lot of giggles, a couple of snow angels and some nice hot chai tea at home in the evening. Tip = get an early start as it doesn't get much warmer past 10am :) At the trail head at about 12:30 pm it was a wonderfully brisk 11 degrees :) No hand or foot warmers needed but I can always use them! Have fun and be safe!

Thanks everyone for your input. Plan on doing Indian Head and Twin. Sounds like snowshoes is the way to go with the snow depth reports you've provided. Will bring crampons too just in case.
Thanks HHS...will check trail conditions.

I'm gonna try to talk Coldfeet into going up the Devil's Path :D...much better views from that route I think (rather than the JD Notch). Real rewarding too, going up the chin and all.

I'm gonna try to talk Coldfeet into going up the Devil's Path :D...much better views from that route I think (rather than the JD Notch). Real rewarding too, going up the chin and all.

Probably better off ascending that side of Indian Head rather than descending, too. It can be icy, especially that steep pitch below the lookout ledge that faces Plattekill Mt. Have fun.

Matt

It kind of snowed all day on Sunday in the Slide Mtn Wilderness Area and it was fun getting up Slide Mtn Road that was unplowed in my Subaru.. wheeeeeee, I wonder if the car behind me made it up cause I know a friend of mine in a 2WD Sedan couldn't... Anyway, I gather at elevation they had anywhere from 6-8" and on the trailheads was around 4-6" of very fluffy powder, very nice to snowshoe through. I snowshoed all day from the Slide mtn trailhead to Table Mtn via the PE trail and the Long Path. temps were cold but not too brutal as saturday or last weekend.

Jay

Snowed pretty good here on Long Island as well on Sunday.

So you crossed the Neversink?

Subarus are awesome. Used to have one of those 4WD hatchback Loyales. Loved it.

twice, in fact, once right by the Slide Mtn trailhead and once over a cable bridge. The new bridge over the deer shanty is quite impressive and the deer shanty was frozen. the cable bridge over the neversink was dicey with the snow over the logs but I had to cross it so on the way back, I gingerly made my way across. (I rock hopped on the way in)...

Jay

Wow...the Deer Shanty bridge must really be new. I was there last year this time and didn't see it. Those logs over the Never Sink can be a little slippery at times as well like you said...don't remember cables there though.

the bridge over the deer shanty is nice and has 2 handrails, the bridge over the neversink is just two big logs with a small gap between the two with one guardrail consisting of a steel cable guyed to the endpoints... Kind of dicey with a layer of soft fluffy snow on top but because it is there, I just had to go across it and so I did so on the way back. Just for fun, one could easily rockhop this time of year.

I have some pictures of the bridge, but on my camera and I've seen pictures posted here before..

Jay

We tried to travel to Slide PA or Denning from Delaware county early Sunday morning. Didn't get very far with my 2 wheel drive p/u. About 5-6 inches with heavy snow still falling. Turned around and just hiked a local mountain instead. 2-3 ft of powder. Sorry Jay, we never caught up with you guys.
-Tony

Wow...the Deer Shanty bridge must really be new. I was there last year this time and didn't see it. Those logs over the Never Sink can be a little slippery at times as well like you said...don't remember cables there though.

This bridge? It was there in October 2007. And if I recall correctly, Harry Rampe told us it had been built the year prior. I think the previous bridge had been washed away 3 or 4 times in a span of just a few years. My memory lately has not been too good due to health problems, so please feel free to correct me if I'm thinking of a different bridge.

Last edited:
Nice picture Hobbes (your photo 11 of 57). I've been over that before.

But I haven't seen anything that Jay H mentions with handrails or a guardrail.