Garfield Ridge East and West Peaks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

docross

In Memoriam to a Deceased Member
Reaction score
Al D and I spent 14 hours breaking out the Gale River and Garfield Ridge trails on 2/25/09 to bag these two NH 100 peaks. Lack of consolidation, and relatively warm temps made for heavy going, especially on the ridge.

We left Beaver Brook outhouse and parking area off Rte 3 at 7:45; the first 1.1 miles to the Gale River trailhead were skied and sno-mo'd out. Gale River trail had a good firm base, and we were breaking only 6-8 until we got up high.

Reached the junction at 12:15, (5 miles from start) then the fun began. Garfield Ridge sees little action in the winter, and it's not always easy to follow. We did get off it a couple of times within a quarter mile of the junction, but then persevered and found it. Bushwhacking was not an option with all that snow, which usually was knee-deep, and on the steep uphills was waist-deep.

Made it to the height of land at East Garfield, decided to bag it in case we ran out of time. The 'whack is only 250 feet, but it was fairly nasty, with traps and stick forest. Luckily it was beautiful day, with warm sun and spectacular views of the Twins, Galehead, and the peaks along the Kanc.

Found the bottle, signed in, and were back at the trail by 14:30. Headed west, over several bumps. Lost trail, found it again. My memory of a summer bushwhack to West Peak was that it was steep and thick; turns out it was 400 feet of not-too-bad going. We were on the flat summit at 17:25, made a broad sweep to find a bottle, no luck, but the snow was within a foot or so of the bottle on East, so maybe we just didn't see it, if there is one there.

Heading out, we turned on the headlamps in the col between East and West. Back at the junction at 19:30 (2 hours from West), and then the interminable slog down Gale River, which I swore grew a mile or more during the day. Hiking with a headlamp, short of calories, everything wet from the snow (but I was warm), and the trailhead seems to recede as you approach it; we were glad to see the sno-mo trail!

Back at the car by 21:30, about 14 hours, close to 14 miles. 2 more NH 100 winter peaks bagged, bringing Al down to 9 and me to 12. Enough said.

good to know

A small group of us are headed to attempt a loop over the Twins and Galehead this Saturday.
Sounds like we could see similar conditions heading up to N. Twin?

'Broken trail ahead' will be a good motivator to head out Gale River tr.

-m

no luck, but the snow was within a foot or so of the bottle on East, so maybe we just didn't see it, if there is one there.

There was a glass jar there a month ago when Dr. D, Anita, and I were there. Undoubtedly it's under the snow now. Someone recently said on a different forum.."what a difference a month makes.."We couldn't get the frozen lid off easily and elected to leave it alone. Now that it's under the snow, wonder how it will be in the summer...:eek:

Last edited:
Jar on West Garfield

Rats! However we did circumambulate the top of the mountain, so "we wuz there" even without finding the jar. Given Al's prior history, maybe it's lucky we didn't find it, since it would now be in small fragments!:D

Yes, Jazzbo, HikerDoc, Anita and Al and I did the three Weeks as a day trip (no headlamps required!) last winter, in and out from the York Pond TH. We did have to break trail the whole way, but cutting out Waumbek saved a lot of time.

Docross and Bemis

I may be mistaken and perhaps Docross can chime in here, but I think Docross just recently hiked Nancy and Bemis in one excursion. I however would love to visit Bemis and would consider canceling other plans to visit it this winter if that's what you'd like to do.

Garfield Ridge Peaks

The wNHHH is a pretty tough list this year.[/
I]

wNHHH is never an easy list, else more people would have attempted it...:eek:

You are right Jazzbo, Docross did Bemis & Nancy a couple of weeks ago with Carl and posted some nice photos.

Nancy & Bemis photos

http://picasaweb.google.com/spinner2243/ This is my Picasa web album page; if you click on the album Winter Hiking 2008-9, there are some photos and also the GPS track of our trip. You will find them toward the bottom of the album.

If I were doing Bemis as a single peak I would probably try to follow the old Fire Warden's trail, noting that there are a lot of blowdowns up high on the shoulder, (to the east of the summit).

It's been a while but wasn't there a metal handle (like a filing cabinet handle) screwed onto a tree on Garfield west?

It's been a while but wasn't there a metal handle (like a filing cabinet handle) screwed onto a tree on Garfield west?

Yes, we photographed but decided to avoid breaking the canister to sign the register on 3 January 2009 when I was there with Hiker Doc and Ms Hiker Doc. But, it may be buried now, as the snowpack is much deeper than it was two months ago.