Camping Outside Baxter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miehoff

Reaction score
After obsessively hiking in NE for well over a decade, I have decided to make the drive up to Baxter for 3 (or so) days of hiking. I know there are threads on here that discuss the park, but I would just like to get a list of campgrounds that are outside of the park, yet close enough for early arrival at the gate. I also hope to find the most rustic, quiet and non-family/non-party oriented campgrounds. I don't need much, just peace and quiet. A list would be great so I can make some calls and get things arranged. I will be going next week, on weekdays only.

Thanks.

Big Moose Inn, Cabins and Campground is, I think, the closest campground to the Park entrance. It is 8 miles beyond Millinocket, on the road to the park. Campground is very clean with nice facilitiies (including showers), and the folks who own the place and those who work there are extremely hospitable!

More info here: http://www.bigmoosecabins.com

We stayed there last Labor Day Weekend, and they were very accommodating. There is a bar with pub fare (like pizzas and burgers) as well as a restaurant on premises.

I've checked out Hidden Springs, which looks fine, and stayed at Big Moose, which was very comfortable, but it can get noisy.

But if it's at all possible, why not camp inside Baxter? It's not only cheaper, it is a fantastic place to set up a tent or stay in a lean-to, and in campgrounds like Roaring Brook you can just drive back to Millinocket if need be. You shouldn't have any trouble getting a spot in the middle of the week.

We always stay at Hidden Springs. They are great to deal with, and it is never loud or roudy.Clean baths, and nice pool.

There used to be free MFS campsites just outside both entrances, I hear that the gravel pit by the S entrance charges some sort of fee and the closest one to the NE is now closed but there are others on the DeLorme. You can't get any more rustic.

But I agree with those who suggest camping in the park, it takes a lot longer than you think to drive in and you save the wait at the gate plus the extra entrance fee. Spaces should be available mid-week in June, consider a bunkhouse if you're by yourself.

I also hope to find the most rustic, quiet and non-family/non-party oriented campgrounds. I don't need much, just peace and quiet.
Call BSP and either ask what's available inside the Park, or check for availability right on their webpage. You can make a reservation over the phone.
http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/camping/index.html
Outside the Park, there's the Abol Bridge Campground and the rustic State run Abol Pines campground across the road.

TJ < writes about this area for the ATC's ALDHA Thru-hikers' Companion.

Last edited:
I agree about staying in park, much better.

Teej - nice link to availability, first time I've seen that. Can't believe the chimney pond sites that are available. I just spent about 2 minutes setting up imaginary trips all in my favorite lean-tos. Until I finish my honey-do list my trip has to remain a dream.:(

Thanks!

I reserved a spot at Abol inside the park. I had no idea that you could make last minute reservations. I really appreciate the replies. Now if the weather will just cooperate...

ahhh, but...

I switched it to the following week, so, who knows?
Might get up to the Whites this week.