Looking for an aggressive weekend trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainman19

Reaction score
Going in on Thursday night out Sunday at noon.

Would like to hit Whiteface, see Flat mountain pond, Passaconaway, and maybe the Trips and/or Osceola.

For those that have attempted something like this. Any trail suggestions? I looked up some stuff on the site but could not locate a trip report similar.

I originally wanted to do the hellgate bushwack up bond, but my partner has vetoed the suggestion. :(

If you want aggressive, the section of the Mt Tripyramid Trail that climbs the North Slide to North Tripyramid is one of the steepest in the Whites, gaining 1,200 feet in a half-mile. Going down the South Slide is only marginally less steep.

Try this

Here's one I did some years ago, but it might fit the bill:

Park in the Flat Mountain Pond trailhead off the Jose's Bridge road.

Hike up the Flat Mountain trail to Flat Mountain Pond and camp either at the shelter or on the lawn in front.

Next day contrinue around the pond on the trail and go down to where the McCrillis trail heads up Whiteface. Take the McCrillis trail up WhiteFace.

Descend on the Kate Sleeper Trail and head for the South Slide of the Tripyramids. Camp along the way just before reaching the slide. Map shows Slide Brook up in there a bit.

Traverse the Tripyramids northbound, and follow the Pine Bend trail to the Scaur Ridge trail (left). Upon reaching the old Livermore Road turn right and follow slightly down it to where it makes a big sweeping right turn and then leave the road (left) and "whack" over to the Flume trail (about 1/4 mile).

Follow the Flume Trail (probably lots of high grass) down to Greeley Ponds trail. Turn right and follow Greeley Ponds trail to the East Osceola trail. Take the East Osceola trail to Osceola. Third night camp somewhere on this section before actually entering the Greeley Ponds trail corridor. Maybe during the short bushwhack up above the Flume. You will see where I mean when you get there. There is an old logging haul road in there that would be ideal.

If you have two vehicles available, one at the Tripoli Road parking for Osceola (Breadtray Ridge) would propitious.

I think that you will find this aggressive with a nice variety of terrain.

Actually when I did it I hiked back to Flat Mountain Pond via the Cascade Brook trail and Lost Pass to make it a complete loop. Had an old bike stashed at Bread Tray Ridge to avoid a road walk back into Waterville Valley. Picked the bike up days later from where I hid it near Depot Camp on the Livermore Road.

Last edited:
Hillwalker's trip sounds great! We did it last year on Memorial Day weekend and there was a ton of snow on the Sleepers. Be prepared to get your feet wet, unless you know the snow is gone!

If you want aggressive, the section of the Mt Tripyramid Trail that climbs the North Slide to North Tripyramid is one of the steepest in the Whites, gaining 1,200 feet in a half-mile. Going down the South Slide is only marginally less steep.

That's the only trail I turned back down. I like hiking steep trails but I tried about 5 times to get by the smooth part near the top but couldn't do it. Huntington ravine trail is easy compared to The North Slide. This sounds like a great hike. Have fun.

grog

If you wanted an aggressive weekend, go to any well-attended biker bar and loudly announce: "Bikers a bunch of big, fat sissies!" You should see a fair amount of aggression. Oh, wait, aggressive hiking. Never mind.

I like Hillwalker's recommendation, but I'd suggest two slight changes:

1) Start from Waterville Valley and go to Flat Mountain Pond via Sandwich Dome. (Or, take his suggestion to head up Cascade Brook.)

2) Descend the North Tripyramid slide instead of Scaur Ridge. The only minor difficulty is that the trail isn't super obvious at the base of the slide, so you have to pay attention. (I disagree completely with the above suggestion that it is more difficult than Huntington Ravine.)

Last edited:
"I like Hillwalker's recommendation, but I'd suggest two slight changes:

1) Start from Waterville Valley and go to Flat Mountain Pond via Sandwich Dome. (Or, take his suggestion to head up Cascade Brook.)

2) Descend the North Tripyramid slide instead of Scaur Ridge. The only minor difficulty is that the trail isn't super obvious at the base of the slide, so you have to pay attention. (I disagree completely with the above suggestion that it is more difficult than Huntington Ravine.)"

It is going to rain all weekend...Does that change your analysis?

Also, Is Cascade Brook a "buskwack" up to the pond? I can't locate a trail.

2) Descend the North Tripyramid slide instead of Scaur Ridge. The only minor difficulty is that the trail isn't super obvious at the base of the slide, so you have to pay attention. (I disagree completely with the above suggestion that it is more difficult than Huntington Ravine.)"
Most people prefer to ascend rather than descend the North Slide. Up the North slide and down the South slide is a popular loop.

Doug

North Slide

Please note that my recommended itinerary avoids using the North Slide and only ascends part of the South Slide.

I'll follow up to say that if it's dry, I'd highly recommend descending the North Slide instead of Scaur Ridge, because the former is a spectacular slide. Just because it is easier to ascend does not make it a bad descent route.

The upper section is dirty (loose rocks, rubble), the lower two-thirds is pretty clean. IIRC, the middle or lower-middle section had a couple of short sections that where the use of hands is necessary, at least I though so. The handholds were obvious, big, and bomber. As I mentioned earlier, pay careful attention to the route at the bottom.

If it's raining when you get to the top, use your best judgment. The top section shouldn't be a problem, but the middle and lower sections might be more interesting. Perhaps, uncomfortably so if you don't have much experience scrambling on rock. I'm also not sure how slippery the clean rock is when wet. If it is wet and you're feeling uncomfortable when you reach the top of the North Slide, the Scaur Ridge trail is not far away.