best approach to uphill leanto

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bctrainor

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to do Cliff and Redfield from the uphill leanto and am thinking about how to get there. In the past I've reached peaks in the area via Lake Arnold. However, I do not have fond memories of descending from Lake Arnold and am considering an approach from Upper works via the flowed lands. On the map it looks a bit easier even though it is longer. Is this actually the case? Thanks in advance.

Brian

We came in via Upper Works and it is a nice walk. The section between Flowed Lands and Lake Colden was quite muddy. The section from Lake Colden to Uphill is very scenic following the Opalescent. We also went to Lake Arnold when climbing Colden, adn the trail between Lake Arnold and Uphill is also in good shape, some mud.

Since you've already come in via Lake Arnold, I'd say try Upper Works - the parking is plentiful!

I just did a Cliff/Redfield hike a few weeks age via Flowed Lands but stayed at the Feldspar lean-to as other people on the trip needed different peaks. I think its about 8 miles from the trail head to the lean-to. It is not an overly challenging hike and its quite pretty hiking along the Opalescent Brook with its waterfalls and flumes. You can always hike Marshall on the way in or out too as you pass by the cairn to mark this trail.

Just to give the other perspective. I did that hike coming in from the LOJ. Went up to Avalanche camp, then over to Lake Arnold and down.

That is certainly a more difficult approach with full packs (about 7 miles and 1800' up, 500' down). It took us about 4 hours (with packs). It's not overly pretty (till you get to the back side of Colden), but it works.

Its biggest draw for me is (and this is certainly a personal thing); By starting and finishing at the LOJ, at the end of a multi-day hike, I can be seated at the Down Hill Grill with my first Beer ordered and food on the way 1/2 hour after walking out :) (or in the shower, whatever your first priority is)

I've never been real keen on the Upper Works area anyway. It's servicable and can't be avoid sometimes, but given a choice I prefer other trailheads. Jumping in a car and driving 1-1.5 hours (minimum) after just finishing 8-12 hours hiking is not something I really enjoy.

It was worth the extra effortfor us to use the LOJ.

bctrainor, I really like to hike from Upper Works and have been to the Uphill area many times from there. I even climbed Marcy from there for my first peak. The only real bad part is the trail from Flowed Lands to the dam and that is pretty short. The view from FL is one of my favorites. I also go to the mountains for solitude and starting from a 200 space parking lot with a gift shop is not conducive to that(unless it's in February):)

I'm thinking it's about 4 hours from UW to Uphill, too. Agree with above, including Mav's 1.5 return trip... but not everyone has to go back up to the other side.

Mavs, do we have to teach you the cooler and beer routine? By the time you've finished that second one you can be seated and waiting for service in Long Lake!