heart monitor

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikerfast

Reaction score
I was at dicks sporting goods checking these out. i want one to use on my treadmill, or whatever im doing. i saw one for 50 bucks, and wondered if that was fine. before i purchased it, i figured id ask opinions. is it worth getting the more expensive ones? i dont want to spend 50 bucks, then want to go out and spend 125 again. any info out there?
the ones i was looking at look like wristwatches

I have one that I use for biking. You don't really need one--you can feel your exercise level in your body. (I use mine mostly just as a "read-out". Some people use one to maintain a target heart rate--there are books based upon this approach.)

Body signals:
* if you can talk (as in hold a conversation), you are aerobic
* if you can't talk (can bearly gasp out a word or two or less), you are generally in the anaerobic zone.
* if you are gasping so hard you can hardly move, you have hit your max and are trying to recover... :)

After a bit, it isn't hard to learn how the border between aerobic and anaerobic feels.

If you get one, make sure the sensor has a changeable battery or you will have to send it back for replacement when it wears out. I prefer the simple "just read out the heart rate number" watch display. Some have all sorts of bells and whistles which, IMO, aren't worthwhile.

Doug

Last edited:
A friend called and said the word around the campfire is to get on with a chest strap or its not accurate. any comments on this?

Hi - I got a heart rate monitor a couple of months ago and I like having it quite a bit. I started spin classes to find a way to train better for hiking and the instructor suggested one. He also said the chest ones are more accurate, though some people really don't like wearing them - just depends.

It's taught me a lot and, maybe for some people it's obvious, but I really like being able to track my %s. I realized I wasn't training well at the gym since my previous cardio workouts were not getting my heart rate close to what it gets to climbing. Now that I'm pushing myself harder and doing spin, I can feel a change in my endurance.

I didn't get a super high end one, but I did get a few features beyond just the heartrate. I can track my workouts on a diary, switch from a heart rate to a percentage, it has a timer and calorie count too. Also I use mine as a regular watch and, didn't think about it at the time, but the alarm is great for camping - I didn't have a good one before.

Hope that helps!

Don't buy a real cheap HRM. You'll only stop using it to buy a better one.

I have a polar f-11 with a chest strap. I believe the cheast strap is more accurate. I like it a lot and may get a more advanced model when this one gives up the ghost. I originally had a basic polar and upon sending it in for repairs I got a good price markdown offer on a better new model plus I didn't pay for the repairs.

I fool myself too easy on how hard and how much I work out. :eek:

When I'm serious, as I am now, I keep a log of date, time, effort (min in the different heart zones), calories, etc of my aerobic effort. I've set 20 weeks of small incremental weekly goals of adding a total of 15 min a week of my Zone 2, moderate effort time. Starting with 90 min in Z2 training zone a week to a peak 240 min in Z2 training. Distance and speed are not important now. That will be the second 20 weeks goals.

I now should be at 140 min but am only at 109 min, as of last week but that's why it a 20 week program, progress is not a straight line, not because of the effort but because of distractions and fluctuating motivation. My challange is consistance.

Seeing the "accurately" measured progress is rewarding and motivating for me. It keeps me honest. :)

Just for fun I tracked my calories burned while climbing Street mt...7743! :cool:

Dude, thats sum fuzzy math right there. :)

I have the polar with the chest strap. I like the ability to effortlessly download your workout to your laptop calendar.

When I'm serious, as I am now, I keep a log of date, time, effort (min in the different heart zones), calories, etc of my aerobic effort. I've set 20 weeks of small incremental weekly goals of adding a total of 15 min a week of my Zone 2, moderate effort time. Starting with 90 min in Z2 training zone a week to a peak 240 min in Z2 training.
The definitions of the zones as percentages of one's max may be inaccurate for some individuals. The rules of thumb for estimating one's max can also be wildly inaccurate (if you want a real max, get it measured).

For instance, the rule in one of my books* predicts my max to be 160 bpm. It is actually at least 200 (I can reach 200 on my bike). It also gives the aerobic zone to be <=85% of one's max HR. I can recover from an anaerobic sprint at 90-93% (180-185bpm), cruise at 93% (185bpm) and have an anaerobic threshold somewhere between 93% (185bpm) and 95% (190bpm). So the rules of thumb and percentages of max HR are pretty inaccurate for me.**

* The book states that the rule is just an average and is useless for an individual. It recommends measuring each individual's max HR.

** I've been told by an orthopedic surgeon that my high max is genetic. I presume this is also the reason for my high aerobic threshold (percentage). Of course, it is also possible that I'm just a weirdo... :)

After using my monitor for a while, I've found that I can estimate my heart rate pretty accurately from what I am doing and how I feel.

Doug

Last edited:
I use a Sigma Sport PC3. It's a simple monitor that comes with a chest strap and bicycle mounting bracket. I can also change the battery myself. Haven't had any problems in the couple of years I've owned it.

Body signals:
* if you can talk (as in hold a conversation), you are aerobic
* if you can't talk (can bearly gasp out a word or two or less), you are generally in the anaerobic zone.
* if you are gasping so hard you can hardly move, you have hit your max and are trying to recover... :)
My problem is I go from 'A' to 'C' in a very short period of time. But for me, it's mostly my heart is pounding like crazy. And yes, I have seen a Doctor and he tells me I have Tachycardia. So I need to know when to stop and rest. Maybe one of these gizmos would help me.

Just for fun I tracked my calories burned while climbing Street mt...7743! :cool:
If my treadmill is accurate, walking up hill at a 15% grade, around 2.8 mph, burns about 600 calories per hour. This does not reflect the weight of the user, it's just an average. Theoretically, this exertion rate would get me to the summit of Nye in about 2 hours. Now I'm up to 1200 calories. Walking back down is much easier. So, I would calculate something more like 2,000 calories.

I used a HRM with chest strap (definitely more accurate) for many years when I was running long distances- I found it helpful to more objectively determine how tired my body was and how hard to train-

For instance, if I was doing the same running route at the same pace, and was reading out a higher hr, that would often let me know I was wearing down even if subjectively, I did not feel tired-

fun toys to play with and a useful training tool

I wore mine when we did Santa-Panth-Couch. It came out to almost 6000 calories so if there is a lot of uphill you can really get your numbers up.

Tom, I was really frustrated because I could easily to do long distances over gradual hills but then would hit the Dacks and some of the Cats and struggle with keeping a strong pace on the climbs. The HRM really showed me how high my rate was on the climbs but it also just helped me train away from the mts since only those lucky enough to live up there can do it regularly enough to get one's heart stronger. I don't want to run because of the joint stress, so only in spinning am I getting my heart rate up high enough to compare with hiking mts and now the shock isn't nearly the same when I do hit some big EGs. Of course hiking with those like JayH and Mudhook will never be easy :) but I definitely am feeling stronger even if I can't get up to the mts each week.

Also, my spin instructor does a lot of interval training so you get your heart rate high, slow down, but then go back up. The more regularly you do it the faster the heart recovers and get stronger.

Also, my spin instructor does a lot of interval training so you get your heart rate high, slow down, but then go back up. The more regularly you do it the faster the heart recovers and get stronger.
Thanks for the info!

Just looking around and found what is probably the smallest option, with an hysterical comment!

I for one am glad I'm still alive, but others may disagree! :D

If my treadmill is accurate, walking up hill at a 15% grade, around 2.8 mph, burns about 600 calories per hour. This does not reflect the weight of the user, it's just an average. Theoretically, this exertion rate would get me to the summit of Nye in about 2 hours. Now I'm up to 1200 calories. Walking back down is much easier. So, I would calculate something more like 2,000 calories.

How tall are you and what do you weigh? My cal burn on my treadmill adjusted for my weight is a lot more than 600. :eek:

[Doug[/QUOTE]

The definitions of the zones as percentages of one's max may be inaccurate for some individuals

But if it's consistant I get the feedback I need to plot progression.

After using my monitor for a while, I've found that I can estimate my heart rate pretty accurately from what I am doing and how I feel.

Not me. After a while my estimates will drift and I will not be working as hard as I should and have to dig myself out of a hole.

when i use treadmill at the gym i plug in my info and it gives me a heartrate that the mill will adjust to and stay at. this is sposed be between your aerobic and anaerobic threshold for the most efficient workout correct? so basicly i want to use my heart monitor to see how im doing on my treadmill without the montor. also, how much does ones weight factor into the calculation?

when i use treadmill at the gym i plug in my info and it gives me a heartrate that the mill will adjust to and stay at. this is sposed be between your aerobic and anaerobic threshold for the most efficient workout correct? so basicly i want to use my heart monitor to see how im doing on my treadmill without the montor. also, how much does ones weight factor into the calculation?

My Polar does a fitness check and recomends a schedule for the weeks workouts or you can set your own goals or just monitor yoru HR.

Most treadmill monitors are not as accurate as my Polar unless you can imput your personal information. Some treadmills pick up the Polar signal.

The difference in effort required for a 165 lb and a 265 lb man is huge. Just strap on a 75 lb pack and start uphill if you want to find out.

Last edited:
has anybody ever figured out if walking uphill on a treadmill is the same as walking up a real hill. ive heard so many opinions on this