hiking crampons $31 on sale!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadowcat

Reaction score
i've been needing a new pr of crampons. i have a nice enough pr that fit all boots but now that i have crampon-compatible boots i decided to get a pr of step-ins. crampons are expensive and i just couldnt' see paying over $100 on up (more like $150) for crampons just to use hiking.
well i just bought a pr off sierra trading: cassin raid rapid fix step-ins, regularly $110 for $32. i haven't rec'd them yet but if anyone else out there needs a pair i'm sure these will be great for hiking and you'll save some bucks.
just wanted to pass it along! also, if anyone has any input on them please pass along
ps: they also had solomon pro ice boots: reg $300 for $79 but they are going fast! (now those will need the $150 crampons!) :rolleyes:

ps. what ever happened to the "gear for sale" idea?

Last edited:
Just bought a $29 pair of Lowe Alpine gaiters from STP. Front Zip, boot strap, velcro over zipper.. Hopefully it's nicer than the dirt cheap Threshold ones I have now... (Shouldn't be hard)..

Also bought a long sleeve coolmax turleneck base layer for like $3(!!) for use in my winter bike commute. Can't wait til winter...

Jay

The description says "low-angle walking." Are most trail hikes considered "low-angle?"

re: low angle

i saw that also, but compared them to the ones i currently have which fit non-crampon boots (austria-alpines). i've used those for a couple winters now and done some pretty steep climbs & winter bushwacks in them. these are similar, if not better, so i am going to assume they will be just fine. really, you just need some good traction here and of course you don't want cheap ones that might bend, which i'm going to again assume these won't. for me they will be fine; if someone does more aggressive hiking where maybe they rope and actually have to climb some distance on ice then no. i'm saving for somethng like the black diamond bionics, for ice climbing. i i don't know but for the price i thought i'd ck 'em out. i can always return them. heck some folks only use bear claws on their boots and do fine! just wanted to pass the savings along since winter is coming up. i'm excited about it since this summer almost every wkend i could go rained!

Have you received them yet? I am looking for a pair for my son as he outgrew his others. We only do one winter hike per season so it appears those my be what I'm looking for. Several years ago I bought two pairs from ebay at about $50-$60, which I felt was a good price at the time. Would these step-ins fit all boots?

quality & forged vs steel

i emailed cassin to ask. but i only weigh 103# on a good day so i'm sure for me they will be ok. i imagine they are very similar in quality to my strap on austri alpin's. i got those at ems a couple yrs ago for $70 so they weren't expensive and have held up, for me, very well. if or when i get an answer, i will let you know.

sherpatom: for $31 if you son has boots that have the lip on front and back for crampons, then they should work ok. they are adjustable.

rec'd the crampons...

hey there
rec'd the crampons last night. personnelly, they look fine to me. comparing them to what i have worn for a couple yrs - the austri-alpines, they look as strong if not more so. never got a response from cassin on whether or not they are forged or whatever. but for $30 for step ins --- cassin is a good name so it's not like they are some weird off brand. that's really all i can tell you about em. i wouldn't climb up vertical ice in them but hiking and use on icy rocks on the route, they should be just fine!
also recd the salomon pro ice boots; which i am thrilled about. they fit like a glove and are incredibly comfortable. i imagine i will even be able to wear them winter hiking w/ crampons or snowshoes. they have thinsulate in them - granted only 200 i think, maybe 100 but still they are really that comfortable. walked all over my apt complex in them and they felt good. they are nice bec they come with the insert for ice climbing which stiffens up the ankles.
REGARDING STEEL CAST: these crampons are steel cast (per manufacturer)

Last edited:
I decided to pick up a pair of these crampons too. I find them to be very rugged, and also very light. Nice combo. They are probably pretty difficult to adjust the size in the field however, because there is a bolt holding the two halves together. Small price to pay for 1lb 12oz weight (per pair). Very nice price $31. Cant find a boot attaching crampon for that anywhere, even used. I will try these out on some local hiking before taking the plunge with them in a backcountry setting. Now if only we had some snow....

-percious

"percious"

i'm glad someone else took advantage of the good deal. i did rec several emails right from cassin stating they were 2001-02 models and steel cast. they said they would be great for our winter useage. supposedly, once you adjust to fit your boot, you shouldn't have to mess w/it in the field. let's hope that's the case huh? good luck
bj