Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Mittens for really cold hands

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Yep. That's a whole different world. Those guys are using wooden snowshoes, cotton anoraks, leather footwear, fur hats etc. etc.

The hot tents make me think of squatting.

Surviving and enjoying a week out in the bush at -40 in the Canadian shield is a long way from winter peakbagging/dayhiking in the NE, that's for sure.

Try sitting around a fire of Jack Pine while wearing a $400 Arcteryx soft shell or Marmot 800 fill down pants.
    You are right about that one Neil. Some of their pictures look like they were taken at the turn of the century and I don't mean 2000. They go in style though - stoves in big tents, real food like steaks and trimmings, but was a real revelation to see how they outfit themselves in the Far North. Some of them do use modern down gear under the cotton anoraks, but many of them dress in surplus Canadian Forces wool clothes or traditional Inuit style clothing, including mukluks and fur ruffs, as you mentioned.

Dachstein Mittens

Teo, thank you for the spelling correction. To much rushing. The mittens are made about 20 km east of Ramsan am Dachstein in Pruggern, Austria.
    'Whatever wisdom I would find, I know, grows out of the land. I trust that, and that it would reveal itself in the presence of well-chosen companions.'
    B. Lopez

After reading this thread I decided to get a pair of Dachstein mittens from Sweaters International. I finally got a chance to try them out this weekend on Liberty/Flume. They worked wonderfully. Plenty of room for a lightweight liner glove under them. They breathe well and kept my hands warm and dry. Interestingly as the day progressed and a thin layer of ice formed on the outside of the mitts they became warmer. I'm going to order an additional pair or two. I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by kaseri View Post
    After reading this thread I decided to get a pair of Dachstein mittens from Sweaters International. I finally got a chance to try them out this weekend on Liberty/Flume. They worked wonderfully. Plenty of room for a lightweight liner glove under them. They breathe well and kept my hands warm and dry. Interestingly as the day progressed and a thin layer of ice formed on the outside of the mitts they became warmer. I'm going to order an additional pair or two. I love them.
    The ability to have ice on the outside and be dry and warm on the inside is also a feature of wool hats (and probably any reasonably thick wool).

See my earlier post re using Dachsteins for ice climbing. #46 in this thread.

Doug
    Last edited by DougPaul; 02-01-2010 at 10:43 AM.

I use Dachsteins with a mitten shell over them. By inserting the handwarmers between the two layers, you're able to better control where their heat extends. In the wrist area, in the back of the fingers. The shell captures much of the heat they generate. Some of the warmth goes thru the shell to the outside, but much of it warms the inner lining and your hands.

Its also best to not let the hands get cold in the first place. Much more difficult to bring them back to normal.
    "The fact that going off the deep end appears
    to be a requisite to doing anything of consequence
    in this life has not escaped me." Jim Harrison

I have Reynauds and have used the Seirus Therma-Lux Glove Liners with Heat Pocket sometimes with and without the heater. I wear some less than dexterous (sic) Thinsolite nylon shell gloves over them. I agree with the advice to keep some food in the stove during the trip. I always try to start out with some cheese or other fat containing food. Never allow bare skin to touch something cold. I have trouble in the early AM in the sleeping bag as the metabolism seems to drop. I always carry OR mittens with shells (clumsy and less than fun on the trail but they are the back up to save the fingers from frostbite) and wear the liners at night. I have recently started to use the UnderArmour Light fleece gloves as liners. (Under $25) They have good dexterity due to rubberized logos on the inner finger and palms. They are not supper warm in themselves but better than the purely knitted liner gloves to just keep something between the flesh and the cold cruel world when I take off my regular Thinsolite gloves. Between all those gloves I seem to find a happy medium. The best advice keep moving and when you stop for any length of time put on the Himalayan Summit Antarctic Mittens.
    I support nuclear energy, as long as the reactor is 93,000,000 miles away! Solar Electric Power!