Wind Block Mittens

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peakbagger

Super Moderator
Staff member
VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
My usual cold weather choice for my hands is poly liner gloves with fleece mittens. I finally wore holes in my mittens and decided to try a variation by going to wind block fleece to gain a bit better performance in the wind. Finding a pair of fleece mittens in general turned into a chore, it used to be that numerous companies sold mitten liners for nylon wind shells but the market seems to have shifted to all in one mittens and gloves which I really despise as they take forever to dry out. I looked around and eventually found this company in Homer Alaska on the web. I ordered a few pair of their standard mittens with nonslip palms. Not much for dexterity but that's why I wear the liner gloves so I can take off the mittens.

http://nomaralaska.com/warmDmittens.htm

I am impressed to date, they definitely are warmer than stock fleece mittens and the non slip keeps them drier when snow gets on them. The trade off is like many other Polartech windblock products they definitely don't breathe as well as common fleece so in some conditions my hands can get damp.

For really nasty conditions I always have a pair of OR goretex shells and double weight expedition liners in the pack.

I don't think there is an ideal system that works for all conditions but this seems to be a nice addition for the type of hiking I do these days.

I have been using wind block fleece gloves skiing and hiking for a number of years. IMO, they work pretty well. I also carry mittens and mitten shells, but don't need them very often. Non-wind blocking fleece is too cold for my taste (and hands are often out in the wind).

Yes, they occasionally get damp, but usually stay warm enough and dry fairly quickly.

REI currently lists two different models.

Doug

My usual cold weather choice for my hands is poly liner gloves with fleece mittens. I finally wore holes in my mittens and decided to try a variation by going to wind block fleece to gain a bit better performance in the wind. Finding a pair of fleece mittens in general turned into a chore, it used to be that numerous companies sold mitten liners for nylon wind shells but the market seems to have shifted to all in one mittens and gloves which I really despise as they take forever to dry out. I looked around and eventually found this company in Homer Alaska on the web. I ordered a few pair of their standard mittens with nonslip palms. Not much for dexterity but that's why I wear the liner gloves so I can take off the mittens.

http://nomaralaska.com/warmDmittens.htm

I am impressed to date, they definitely are warmer than stock fleece mittens and the non slip keeps them drier when snow gets on them. The trade off is like many other Polartech windblock products they definitely don't breathe as well as common fleece so in some conditions my hands can get damp.

For really nasty conditions I always have a pair of OR goretex shells and double weight expedition liners in the pack.

I don't think there is an ideal system that works for all conditions but this seems to be a nice addition for the type of hiking I do these days.

Not to semi-hijack your thread but I see you referenced the OR Mitten. I have a pair of their heavy duty Gore Tex cold weather mittens. I particularly like the interior liner mitten because it has a finger and thumb cover that overlaps and flips open for access to the fingers for doing technical stuff. I'd love to find a pair of that kind of mitten in a weather resistant material to use on more normal Winter days. Do you know if OR makes or have you seen such an item in your travels. My current assortment of Winter gloves (other than the OR for super cold days) is sorely lacking right now. Hate pretty much everything I'm using.