Mount Washington Auto Road

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mookie

Reaction score
This may seem strange, but...
I have a friend who is into extreme pogo-sticking and really wants to tackle the Mount Washington Auto Road next spring. Are people allowed to use the road as they wish? i have only crossed it while hiking, never hiked up it or driven it.

He really wants to make stickers that say :

"This Pogo Stick Climbed Mount Washington"

Thanks in advance.

oh yeah, he did the stowe auto road a couple weeks ago and he got lots of support up there!

The auto road is private property and the owners call the shots on what can legally be done. They are also a profit makjing company and therefore they have to balance out the value of any positive publicity against the loss in profit if they have to reduce or stop traffic for someone doing a "stunt". they also need to determine if there is a potential for negative publicity or someone getting injured.

That being said, they usually like publicity, so it would be worth contacting them. Ideally, the approach should be set up as a business case showing the auto road how they can benefit from your friends request.

My recollection is that portions of the road aren't paved. Double-check me, but if that's the case it could affect his attempt.

My recollection is that portions of the road aren't paved. Double-check me, but if that's the case it could affect his attempt.

He is pretty good on that thing and has done some off road stuff on his "stick".
he is following this thread so thanks for the help!

if i need to sign a petition to make this happen, i go by a few names. ;)

If they are so worried about profits, then just ask for permission to go at night, when the road is closed anyway.

And then after they give him permission, and he goes at night and gets killed, his family will sue. If he's so fired up to go, just go without permission and get it done.

And then after they give him permission, and he goes at night and gets killed, his family will sue. If he's so fired up to go, just go without permission and get it done.

yeah, pogo-sticking is an extremely hazardous sport. i'm sure many deaths have occurred from bouncing on a stick. thats why i picked up ice climbing instead.

yeah, pogo-sticking is an extremely hazardous sport. i'm sure many deaths have occurred from bouncing on a stick. thats why i picked up ice climbing instead.

yeah, "extreme" pogo sticking is probably about as hazardous as hiking with jeans and sneakers.....

I imagine the hazard would be in pogosticking where drivers don't expect to see such activity, aren't looking out for it, and are possibly distracted by the views around them - or where drivers have to swerve around them (which I'm betting is why they don't allow bicycles during regular operation)

Can't hurt to ask, and if they say no, I'd look into boinging up the hill during one of the foot or bike races.

They (Extreme Pogo'ers) seem to be pretty safe. My friend sent me a link to a video of them Pogo'ing. Seems like helmets are worn for most "stunts".

http://www.maniacworld.com/extreme-pogo-stick.html

I'd probably try warm ups on Wachusetts & Equinox first. If they won't allow it on Washington, there's always Whiteface although the road leavs you short about 300 vertical feet & the tunnel to the elevator does not have a high ceiling

He is pretty good on that thing and has done some off road stuff on his "stick".
he is following this thread so thanks for the help!

If this guys as good as you say, he should do Washington via Lions Head.......in winter......at night......w/o a headlamp.

Git – ur - dun

I hope the would-be pogo sticker wears a helmet.

Also, he is putting himself at risk for developing a compressive injury to his L5-S1 intervertebral disc due to repetitive compressive loading. The collagen fibres of his annulus fibrosis will undergo creep and weaken.

Nevertheless, if he does it at night and wears a headlamp that would make for some interesting long-exposure pics. I would anticipate a pattern resembling a
sine wave.

Ie.

400px-Sine_and_Cosine.svg.png

Why doesn't he do it via the Crawford Path? There would be less compressive stress to his spine due to the more yielding nature of earth versus ashphalt.