Middlesex Fells?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live about a mile from the Fells. Last Monday (15th) I mountain biked the NEMBA loop (the mtb loop you spoke of) and while there a few patches that were too slick to ride most of the snow was packed on the fire roads and at trail intersections (and it was mostly rideable) while almost all of the singletrack was dry dirt. Was pretty amazing conditions for February actually. The next day we got that 4" wet snow. This past Sunday (20th) I ran on the east side of the Fells on the Cross Fells Trail (the blue blazes) and while it was icier from the recent snowfall, I used my screw shoes and had no issues.

I'm guessing after the past few days of rain and warmer temps you'll encounter some patches of ice, especially at trail intersections where there is the most foot traffic. I'd bet you won't have too many issues though.

Would love to hear what you find. I'm planning a run there this weekend if you'd like to join.

Cheers....

I was in the Fells early yesterday morning (before the afternoon deluge) and anyplace on the trails that normally hold a bit of water was pretty well flooded. Lots and lots of deep mud, too.

Augie loved it ;)

I did see some icy patches on the bike loop (or at least the parts we crossed).

Just got back...there's not enough snow in the entire Fells to scrape together a snowman. But deep shifting oozing mud and running water in many spots, at least over near Bellevue. I jarred my knee going through a couple of frost heaves on the Skyline.
Maybe the paths over in the Long Pond/Hillcrest area are a bit better, though I would be careful biking or running.
Yes, Leo loved it!

Yup, sloppy but fun! I did the 6.3 mile NEMBA loop and definitely prepare to be ankle deep in mud in some places, but it's very loose, watery mud. As Audrey mentioned there are a lot of frost heaves but for the most part it was a fun run today. The light layer of snow we go this morning made it a little more tricky as it covered up just enough of some of the ankle turning rocks, but really as a runner you couldn't ask for better conditions in February! Get after it!

-ct