Map and Compass Course

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinooktrail

Reaction score
Does anyone know of any up and coming 'Map and Compass' classes in the next month or two?

I know Kittery Trading Post used to have them. I looked online and didn't see any.

I searched online and didn't really see any, loads of GPS courses, but I think I should really learn Map and Compass first.

Somewhere in the Mount Washington Valley and as far south as Kittery/Portsmouth would be great.

Thanks!

Does anyone know of any up and coming 'Map and Compass' classes in the next month or two?

I know Kittery Trading Post used to have them. I looked online and didn't see any.

I searched online and didn't really see any, loads of GPS courses, but I think I should really learn Map and Compass first.

Somewhere in the Mount Washington Valley and as far south as Kittery/Portsmouth would be great.

Thanks!

There are some good books on the subject... Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills is an all around good outdoors reference book to have that has an entire chapter on navigation.

I learned my navigation in the Coast Guard and have adapted the map and compass lessons to incorporate the use of information gained from observing solid ground while losing triangulation opportunities. (What is lost in triangulation, however, can be gained in knowing the elevation.) I'd suggest looking into a CG Auxilliary or Power Squadron course. To the extent they cover map and compass you could well adapt it to land navigation.

Understanding the compass is crucial and my observation of a lot of course material is that they rely too much on memory aids and process and not enough on the simple understanding that the magnetic pole is located far apart from the geographic pole. As cute as the memory aids often are, an understanding of the concept best assures the correct adjustment between "magnetic" and "true" ... and even after all these years, I still have to think this through to be totally confident in my adjustment.

Thanks everyone!

I have some of the books mentioned, and a few more, including one from the Army. I was just looking for a 'hands on' experience in the woods to see it in practice.

I guess I learn better through doing rather than by reading...

I have a class lined up for now, thanks!

:)

Thanks everyone!

I have some of the books mentioned, and a few more, including one from the Army. I was just looking for a 'hands on' experience in the woods to see it in practice.

I guess I learn better through doing rather than by reading...

I have a class lined up for now, thanks!

:)

The best thing you can do is try and find an experienced bushwhacker to help you out. I have found map and compass courses rely too heavily on orienteering style compass work (which is what Bjorn Kjellstroms book teaches.) While it does work it is tedious, slow and offers its own problems when getting into thick spruce where visibility shrinks to just inches. The link Neil posted is more in tune with the style you will most likely want to use.

Brian

Thanks!

If there is an REI near you I would suggest them. I took their map & compass course as a refresher and I thought the instruction was excellent.

http://www.rei.com/expertadvice/articles/navigation+basics.html