Most comfortable sleeping pads

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While we're on the topic of sleeping pads, another thing to note concerning their use in the winter (even though that season is far away): Don't bring pads that require you to inflate them with your breath. Self-inflating are ok, foam pads that require no inflating are best. The reason being that the moisture from your breath will freeze inside the pad, either damaging the pad and/or causing you to sleep colder.

What I generally do is carry both a foam pad, and a self-inflating full length thermarest prolite 4. Combined, the added insulation keeps me warmer, and I still have the foam pad in case something goes wrong with the thermarest.

While we're on the topic of sleeping pads, another thing to note concerning their use in the winter (even though that season is far away): Don't bring pads that require you to inflate them with your breath. Self-inflating are ok, foam pads that require no inflating are best. The reason being that the moisture from your breath will freeze inside the pad, either damaging the pad and/or causing you to sleep colder.
Actually, moisture in the pad will reduce the insulation any time of year. And it can cause mildew*. Self-inflaters may require a final puff or two if you want to inflate them hard but that will put in far less moisture than in pads which require you to inflate them with your breath.

* Make sure you store the pad in a way in which moisture can escape (eg fully expanded with the valve open for a self-expander).

What I generally do is carry both a foam pad, and a self-inflating full length thermarest prolite 4. Combined, the added insulation keeps me warmer, and I still have the foam pad in case something goes wrong with the thermarest.
Similar here: a full length 1.5 inch Thermarest (prolite 4 or solid foam) and a 3/8 or 1/2 inch closed cell foam in winter or car camping. Comfort and safety. (A 1.5 inch self-inflater by itself is generally inadequate for winter.)

Doug

Pretty sure this Therm-a-Rest is numero uno. Arm had it on a trip to the ADK's (stayed at a hotel) and it was outrageous. No hiking that weekend -- we just cuddled on his Therm-a-Rest!

-Dr. Wu

Now *THAT* looks like a sweet pad. It might be nicer than my mattress at home! I think I'll get vetoed on the price though.

Thanks for all the input everybody! This forum is truly awesome :) I think I'll go with the Big Agnes Air Core for now. It seems to be well-liked, and the price is pretty good.

Actually, moisture in the pad will reduce the insulation any time of year. And it can cause mildew*. Doug

DSettahr said:
Don't bring pads that require you to inflate them with your breath. Self-inflating are ok, foam pads that require no inflating are best. The reason being that the moisture from your breath will freeze inside the pad, either damaging the pad and/or causing you to sleep colder.

These statements verge on the theoretical for me, not that they can't be true. I've used all manor of pads over the years and have not suffered any damage, mildew or cold sleep on my current inflatable/evazote pad.

But, read the disclaimer...

Not sure what is the most comfortable pad out there, but in my quest to go ever lighter I've been experimenting with using just the pad of my pack. This works fine for me if sleeping on the ground--pine needles, aaaah!--but not so well on the hard surfaces of shelters.

I used a 3/4 length Thermarest on my AT thru-hike 100 years ago and now can't believe I carried anything that heavy for (to me) such little utility!

Caveat: I am a good sleeper and can fall asleep just about anywhere so long as it's relatively quiet. :)

Last edited: