Alcohol Stove

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdavis

Reaction score
I saw some thru hikers using an alocohol stove recently. It didn't boil fast but I was impressed by how little fuel it used and how small it was. Does anybody have any experience with these. What kind of alcohol does it use and where can you buy the fuel.
Also is there an alcohol stove that you can recommend.
I currently have a jetboil which is cool but kind of bulky.

Thanks
Mike

I have an alcohol stove I bought online from White Box. (It comes in a white box, too.) It's well designed and works well. For fuel, I've used either rubbing alcohol or yellow heat. Thru hikers who pack light like alcohol stoves because the fuel is easy to find if they get off trail, where canister stove fuel might not be available.

The only problem I've had is knowing when the stove is ready in daylight hours. The flame (blossom) is hard to see and my hearing isn't good enough to know that it is ready. My solution is to hold a match to where the flames should come out. When the match ignites, I know there is flame. The problem doesn't exist when it is dark.

Along with the fuel, it packs right inside my titanium kettle!

You can usually buy denatured alcohol in a can at a hardware store. Heet gas line antifreeze works but has lower heat content. Most thruhikers build their own stoves. There are numerous designs on the web, normally they break down into two types, self pressurizing or non pressurizing. The self pressurizing units allow the alcohol to boil and form jets of flame, they tend to be faster. The non self pressurizing units are usually a open can with some sort of insulation that allows the alcohol to wick, its the equivalent to heating with a can of sterno. Trangia is a non pressurizing stove that many folks buy. One thing to consider is that the stove is only one part of the system, generally you need a pot support and the better designs incorporate a heat shield that wraps up around the side of the pot. These tend to be custom to the pot being used.

IMHO

There are constant debates on what type of stove to bring on an AT thruhike on whiteblaze.net. The person I sectioned hiked a large section of the AT with switched to alcohol, I tried it once and decided to switch back to a cannister stove with a custom heat shield. One thing that neither one does well is frying as the heat source is concentrated and most backpacking cooking gear is thin.

A broad generalization on my part is that a alcohol stove is great for heat and eat meals, bascially heat water to boiling, dump in pot, pouch or ziplock bag with ingredients, stir, then either eat immediately or store it in an insulated pouch (AKA cozy) and wait for the cooking to be completed. So if you buy prepared dehydrated food its a good fit. It typically takes longer to boil than a cannister. Most thru hikers tend to get down to eating food as fuel, where they go for the maximum calories with the minimal hassle

A cannister stove can simmer which makes it easier to cook somewhat more complex meals that requires an initial boil and longer simmering. With some work, they can be adapted for use with an outback oven (for weekend use where weight is less of an issue). With a custom heat shield, my cannister stove works well in breezy conditions. I also have used my cannister stove as a supplemental heat source for heating water bottles for my sleeping bag in unusually cold weather. If I am willing to use up fuel, I can heat a lot more water a lot quicker with the cannister. (Note my rational is that the additional fuel carried is less than the weight of heavier gear). By the way, finding cannister fuel has never been an issue wth me, the biggest pain is using up the partially full ones.

Last edited:
I built two Pepsi can stoves using instructions available on the internet, mostly as an amusement. I did use them in my house during the 2008 December ice storm when we had no power for 7 days. You can make a simmer ring if you wish, although it is not as adjustable as a dial.

Tim

Thanks for the Info!!

Sweet I'm going to make one of those cat food stoves. Nothing to loose.
You know I'm guessing the alcohol stove probably works better in winter. In order to use my jetboil I have to sleep with the cannister.

Thanks
Mike

Sweet I'm going to make one of those cat food stoves. Nothing to loose.
You know I'm guessing the alcohol stove probably works better in winter. In order to use my jetboil I have to sleep with the cannister.
By all means give it a try, but alcohol stoves often don't work very well in winter. Trangia makes some integrated pot-stove systems that may be the best alcohol stoves for winter use. (Used much more in Europe rather than in NA.)

Gasoline (relatively easy) and kerosene (a bit messier to use) are the standards for winter.

Doug

If you go with HEET, go with the Yellow heet, (it burns cleaner) and the Red seems to throw a larger flame!!!
They are great, no moving parts, you can see how much fuel you have left and know how much more you need for a resupply, the one I made 7 yrs ago is still going strong! I've never used it in winter, 3 seasons only, but it's a little work horse!

As a thru-hiker, let me respond on alcohol stoves.

First, to most long distance hikers, gourmet backpacking cooking is an oxymoron. Typical meal prep consists of boiling 2 cups of water and throughing something into it.

Alcohol works for thru-hikers because the stove is lighweight, cheap to make, and nothing to clog or break. Also, alchohol is readily available in resupply towns.

As others have pointed out, it doesn't work well in cold weather, and doesn't work well for boiling much more than 2 cups. So, like other gear choices, there is a time and place for alcohol stoves. But there is also a time and place for other fuels and other stoves as well.

If you go with HEET, go with the Yellow heet, (it burns cleaner) and the Red seems to throw a larger flame!!!
* Ethanol (ethyl, drinking alcohol) is the best alcohol fuel. Denatured alcohol is ethanol plus a bit of poison (often methanol) to prevent people from drinking it.)
* Methanol (methyl, wood alcohol) is poisonous.
* Isopropanol (isopropyl, rubbing alcohol) does not burn as well (it smokes).

Hardware/paint stores and boat supply stores are good sources of denatured alcohol. (Alcohol is used as a stove fuel on boats because alcohol fires can be fought with water.)

Yellow HEET is methanol plus engine additives (which may not be good to breath). Red HEET (iso-HEET) is isopropanal. If you must use yellow HEET, avoid skin contact and breathing the fumes.

A ref: "Cooking with a Pepsi Can Stove" http://www.epinions.com/content_3914899588

Doug

Last edited:
There are dozens of homemade alcohol stove designs available on the Net. There are also dozens of videos on YouTube, some by "Tinny" a guy who makes and sells them. You can make your own using simple hand tools or something like a Dremel tool or cordless drill.

You can make them from anything from a Red Bull can to a soda can, cat food can, or similar cans. I don't consider alcohol stoves serious winter stoves because alcohol just doesn't have the same heat output as white gas. If you are melting snow for water, you need more than what an alcohol stove can deliver. You can test this out by comparing how long it takes to melt a quart of water using a soda can stove to using a white gas stove like an XGK or Nova in 20F weather.

Here are a couple of places to start-
http://jasonklass.webs.com/
Jason has a lot of homemade stuff on his site, including stoves.

http://wings.interfree.it/html/main.html
Links to a bunch of different stove designs

http://jwbasecamp.com/
Jim has a really nice stove and windscreen set. Like Jason, he has complete instructions with photos.

Last edited:
By the way to state what should be obvious - DO NOT EVEN THINK OF TRYING TO BURN WHITE GAS OR GASOLINE IN AN ALCOHOL STOVE - I have heard of folks trying and the results can be very dangerous.

I used a very small alcohol stove this weekend made from a mint tin and cooked with these:

80232.jpg

boiled 16 oz easy and can even boil 32 oz

I was able to cook 3/4 cup jasman rice with a 10 min burn and 10 min sit time.

Last edited:
I started building and experimenting with dozens of them when i started on the AT in 2000. I have about 50% of the trail complete now and I can double echo everything peaks said. I just need 2 cups of water to dump and rehydrate noodles. nothing fancy. I can get it boiled in about 7 minutes.

My favorites are Pepsi Can Stoves and the Bud Light Aluminum Bottle stoves. Pepsi Cans have ports on top and need a stove stand, which is easily made out of 1/4" hardware cloth. Bud Light stoves have ports on the side and the pot can sit right on the stove.

The nice thing about Pepsi can is that I frequently carry esbit tabs as a backup and the stove can be flipped over and a tab placed on it to burn. (You can also burn one on the ground and use tent stakes as a stove stand.

I held a stove building class for the AMC once about 7-8 years ago and the folks who attended really enjoyed building them. However, I rarely see anyone but thruhikers using them.

If you are flying (alcohol is one of the most readily available fuels in Europe) , you can get a regular candle from a candle lantern and package it with the stove and if anyone asks, it is a candle holder.

Here is a link to a Pepsi can stove. Also the "Scott Henderson Pepsi can stove" (Very similar to this) is another good template

I still rely on my whisperlight for winter and in cool weather, my MSR canister stove.

I. However, I rarely see anyone but thruhikers using them.

I don't know why they aren't use more either. They are so easy to use and light weight.

It must be when a gas stove is turned on if feels more powerfull and the impatient can boil water faster.

I have a simmerlite too so it's not an all or nothing thing.