summit rock

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
I have only been as far as the mt. adams parking spot. is the trail to indian pass a little farther down the road by lake henderson?
also does summit rock have a sign? I dont want to walk all the way to LOJ.

Adk_dib said:
I have only been as far as the mt. adams parking spot. is the trail to indian pass a little farther down the road by lake henderson?
also does summit rock have a sign? I dont want to walk all the way to LOJ.

Follow Upper Works Road all the way to the end. This is where the parking area is. I can't remember if there was a sign for summit rock or not, but you will se a path on the right side of the trail that leads to a 4' to 5' high latter (you will probably see the ladder form the trail). Summit rock is at the top. If you get to a point were you start to hike mostly down hill you have passed it.

>I have only been as far as the mt. adams parking spot. is the trail to indian pass a little farther down the road by lake henderson?<

The Upper Works parking lot and trailhead area you are looking for is a bit beyond the Mt. Adams turnout/parking area. It’s as far as you can go (the road is gated off), just past some old tumbledown buildings on your right. The parking area is a sort of two-tiered affair.

>also does summit rock have a sign? I dont want to walk all the way to LOJ.<

I can’t remember. But . . . you reach it sometime after climbing the third ladder on the trail (a vertical ladder) from Upper Works. You will see a short ladder leading up to your left toward a fairly broad rock ledge while the main trail continues more or less straight ahead. That’s the spot. Hard to miss. Good views when you get there.

Don't worry about walking all the way to the Loj by mistake. The route climbs some for a half mile beyond Summit Rock, but right after the height of land in the Pass (where there are good views of the Walllface cliffs to your left) the trail begins to descend quickly. If you hit that you know you've gone "too far."

G.

I was last through there a year ago, and at that time there was a clear sign pointing off-trail to summit rock. For what it's worth (and I know it's not much!), my avatar was taken at Summit Rock. There are some views, but IMO, the most impressive part of the trip is Wallface.

rhihn said:
I was last through there a year ago, and at that time there was a clear sign pointing off-trail to summit rock. For what it's worth (and I know it's not much!), my avatar was taken at Summit Rock. There are some views, but IMO, the most impressive part of the trip is Wallface.
I have to agree with you about the views. My recent visit to Summit Rock also was about a year ago, and by comparison I think the views now are wonderful but less spectacular (more closed in by tree growth) than they were when I visited the same spot ca 1971. The route up through the Pass beyond Summit Rock (toward Adirondack Loj) is interesting, and I think there are some very fine views of the Wallface Cliffs from around the actual height of land -- so that half mile (each way) is worth the extra effort, in my book.

The best Indian Pass deal of all, if you can arrange it, is a through-hike from Adirondack Loj to Upper Works.

G.

Our trip through the pass was actually a multi-day trip down the NP trail, with a half-day at Duck Hole (which we had entirely to ourselves on a sunny day), down to Henderson Lake, through Indian Pass, and out to the Loj. Very leisurely, decidedly wimpy, thoroughly enjoyable, with time to stop and really see stuff, and meet some fine hikers along the way!