Adams 4

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's the Larcom story (do I remember the name "Lucy" for that)?
You wouldn't know her. Lucy was a romantic. She was a poet friend of J.G. Whittier. In one of her poems she rechristened half the peaks in the Sandwich Range. Afterwards, I think it was something like the 1880s, AMC adopted some of Lucy's suggestions in an effort to standardize nomenclature for peaks that had many local names. Back then renaming peaks was a simpler affair. So, now we have Mt. Paugus instead of Old Shag, Deer Mtn, etc; and Mt. Wonalancet instead of Sugarloaf or whatever they used to call it. And if I remember correctly, it was at that time that AMC bestowed the name of Larcom to that little lump I can see outside my bathroom window.

Last edited:
Good story, though lacking in tragedy. Makes me wonder if there isn't a little spot somewhere in the Pioneer Valley named for Emily Dickinson.

Now, wasn't New York's Whiteface Mountain named for a young man who pined for a sweetheart?

Who says I'm not romantic?

Thank goodness we still have Adams 5, although it is less than a nothing of a peak...

Not to take anything away from Ms. Adams, by any means, but personally I'm a little disappointed. The name "Adams 4" IMO, like the name "K2" might be better left as is.