Tubbs Repair?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swamp

Reaction score
I have an older pair of Tubbs Sierras. The frame is in good shape but both the deck and binding have issues that are beyond my Jedi skills. I hate to give up on them. Does Tubbs still have customer service or could anyone recommend a repair shop?

I have an older pair of Tubbs Sierras. The frame is in good shape but both the deck and binding have issues that are beyond my Jedi skills. I hate to give up on them. Does Tubbs still have customer service or could anyone recommend a repair shop?

I'm in the same position, and hate to give up on them because I've had such fun times with them and lots about them is still good, but think I've determined that the decking was too far gone on mine. I found a suitable replacement and am about to trash the old ones. (My, but that hurts to write.)

I'm in the same position, and hate to give up on them because I've had such fun times with them and lots about them is still good, but think I've determined that the decking was too far gone on mine. I found a suitable replacement and am about to trash the old ones. (My, but that hurts to write.)

Don't trash, recycle! Give them to me (or someone similar)! I've relaced plenty of wood snowshoes (usually with cord not webbing) and those should be an interesting project.

It would be strange if, in another 75 years, they are on someone's "rustic" decorated wall, as I've seen so many wooden ones displayed. ('course, I won't be here to witness that.)

I thought Tubbs were gauranteed for life?? I had a pair that the deck ripped, I'm not sure what kind of material it is, but EMS sent them back to Tubbs who repaired them for free and sent them back. I am still using them to get out around the house. They were not wood though.

I thought Tubbs were gauranteed for life?? I had a pair that the deck ripped, I'm not sure what kind of material it is, but EMS sent them back to Tubbs who repaired them for free and sent them back. I am still using them to get out around the house. They were not wood though.

Maybe, but mine had seen a good life. I think I got my moneys' worth out of them. I still have a pair of wooden Tubbs from when I was much younger. :p They're fine.

I also have the TUBBS sierras and have modified and did repairs on em many times. They are the soild decking material not the strands like the Sherpas.

The repair may just be a simple few pop rivets n a washer over it to keep it from pulling out again. If you are in NYC I'd be glad to help ya out?

BUT, If you are going to toss em, I'll take em for a person in need of winter equipment?

Last edited:
Tubbs shoeshoe repair

Several years ago my Tubbs snowshoe broke during a bushwhack up in the Dixs. Very inconvenient to say the least.

I had never liked the original traction device (aluminum and straight across- they wore poorly and never gripped laterally) and I took this mishap to return my snowshoes to Tubbs for a repair and up grade.

They were pretty good about it- I had to pay- about 20% of the cost of the snowshoes when new. But they replaced the deckings and lacings, replaced the traction device with MUCH better type and even threw in a snowshoe carry bag.

They were attentive to my concerns as a winter off-trail traveller (as a women I don't always get taken seriously) and got me what I needed. I did not mind paying for the service- the snowshoes were 10 years old and I had really abused then- wearing them over rough ground like open rocks and the like.

So- don't be afraid to contact Tubbs.

Last edited:
did you take them up to vermont to do this? I have some Tubbs snowshoes I got in like 02. I hate them. They would be OK with less sucky bindings, and I later learned that this particular binding design was so unpopular that Tubbs was replacing them for free for awhile. However, I asked way too late and they wanted to charge me an arm and a leg to fix the bindings. If I could cajole someone into cost effectively upgrading these I would be stoked!

"Lifetime Gaurantee"

In 1992 I brought a pair of wood/leather bearpaws to the shop in Stowe that had split cleanly along a grain in the frame for repair or exchange. It was right after another ownership change, I think this was the Stowe Canoe & Snowshoe period. It was funny that the new owners or managers were surprised when I showed them the gaurantee statement on the label that they were unaware of, but they honored for an exchange.

A friend of mine just sent (in the past couple months) 2 pairs of the early modern type snowshoes from around 1990 to Tubbs for extensive repairs. Last word was they called him and said they no longer had the parts for these, but they had a long time employee who they thought had the skill to modify current parts to adapt. They just cautioned him that they could not gaurantee the repairs.

Been a hard core Tubb's user and abuser for decades, usually only get two years out of their top of the line model before i deem 'em unworthy for serious backcountry (work) usage.
Really stinks that no one local fixes them, but i have yet to pay for any repairs or upgrades by having them sent to (Washington) for repairs (bought & sent via EMS)!! I always get them fixed before "retiring" them to 'backup' & 'lender' status :)
Btw, I'm on year two on the Flex Alps- the BEST shoe I've ever used/owned!! Awesome for serious backcountry / mountain work and yeah, hiking too for R&R :)
Give it a shot, it's worth asking, esp the older models as they are "supposedly" still honoring the lifetime guarantee before they sold out & are now made in China - they almost lost me as a customer for that reason alone... We'll see what time will tell...
Happy winter trekkin!!

Bringing this back as I recently busted my Tubbs Expeditions. I've contacted Tubbs, so we'll see how that goes, but from the looks of this thread I am hopeful!

The Gear Doc (603 - 662 - 4690) in North Conway is an authorized Tubbs repair shop. Saved me two seasons in a row from having to send my flex alps back to the company. Just give him a call and he will most likely fix it for you that day, no waiting a couple of days, weeks, or seasons to see your shoes again. My repaired shoes are better than they were when I bought them.

Hi all,

I know we all have out own favorites and preferences but Tubbs are no longer made in the USA. Shocking, I know ;)... But I can say this, MSR Evo Ascents have a very sturdy decking material and are still made in the America.

Sorry to be "that guy" but I will not buy another pair of Tubbs for a myriad of reasons. My decking started to break down prematurely but my very old MSR Denalis are still going strong.

No need to hate on the MSR guy, just thought I would offer that up.

Z :D