The Mountaineer's 10 Commandments

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, a personal testimony. The years come and the years go. Things change. I know I'll never match the speed records of the young turks out there. But I thought it would be neat to add another round of the 48 and from July through October just hiking once a week Lauky and I did about 30 peaks and finished up the round. I no longer try to "overwhelm" the mountain. I just reel the peaks in. Never, ever have I enjoyed hiking more than I did this summer. In fact I'm sure that I shall forever remember this summer's "peakbagging" as one of the greatest times of my life. Just a man and his dog and the trees and the peaks and the wildlife and the breeze. Life is good. :)

ED, reading your post I do not doubt you for a minute.Thats awsome.:D

Rule #12: ignore #10 and go as fast as you can to get as far as you can before turning around - it's all about the workout (CARDIO/heart health) AND checking the box(es) :eek: seriously....

A quick search of this guy indicates he was more of a film maker and actor than a mountaineer although he was athletic enough to do the mountain stunts in the film so well he took over the lead role in a film. He was also described as an idealistic and nationalistic person and his films possessed those qualities. I see these items as par for the course for the times they were written; churchy, idealistic, romantic, hierarchical and Victorian (even though he was Austrian). Like Tom says, take what you want from them. I saw them as a mixture of common sense, respect for man/environment and the teachings of an ethic.

Not sure where he says anything about being equipped rather than being prepared. Look at #2 again.

Are you confusing teaching with ordering? Remember, these were probably written in a time when people were not used to recreating because most people had so little leisure time. The Germanic languages and personal styles also tend towards directness rather than soft subtleties. LNT tells you what to do. The 10 Essentials tell you what to do. Cotton Kills tells you what not to do. People on VFTT tell you what to do. Not sure what the issue would be.

JohnL

Teaching is very different from "commandments". One requires persuasion and voluntary action, the other doesn't. Pretty crappy when one of them commands a subjective opinion on others.

Teaching is very different from "commandments". One requires persuasion and voluntary action, the other doesn't. Pretty crappy when one of them commands a subjective opinion on others.

Rather than viewing them as "10 Commandants", try viewing them as "10 Suggestions" or "10 Things I Dreamed Up Because I'm Slightly Overbearing and Convinced of My Own Infallibility".

See if that changes your take on them. They're only words. Giving up your own power to adhere to something you don't agree with is a conscious act. As Tom says - if nothing else, Trenker is thought-provoking.

Trenker strikes me as the type of person who achieves some mastery of the sport, and having achieved a basic level of comfort confers upon himself the title of "Certified Mountaineer". Mostly hubris, but not uncommon.

# 13

#13- Thou Shalt use snowshoes when there is 8" of snow on the ground. Or suffer the wrath of the snowshoe police.