Pulley system to cross Indian Pass Brook!?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is off topic, but the discussion on water crossings relates somewhat...

I'm researching an extended trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness this summer and most of the water crossings in The Bob are stream fords, very few bridges. The first route I was considering had, according to the guidebook, a waist deep ford in swift moving water. The guidebook suggested exercising caution for that crossing, detach the waist strap on your pack and wear something on your feet. I think I'll pick another route...

I know this is off topic, but the discussion on water crossings relates somewhat...

I'm researching an extended trip in the Bob Marshall Wilderness this summer and most of the water crossings in The Bob are stream fords, very few bridges. The first route I was considering had, according to the guidebook, a waist deep ford in swift moving water. The guidebook suggested exercising caution for that crossing, detach the waist strap on your pack and wear something on your feet. I think I'll pick another route...

Anything stream crossing higher than knee deep makes me concerned, especially if the water is moving. I've seen thigh deep water pick people up off their feet and sweep them away downstream before...

I agree with the "look for another route" plan. There are lots of things you can do to make a stream crossing safer (been plenty of discussion here on VFTT in the past) but the problem is that by the time you realize you're in too deep, you're already up the creek, puns intended. If you're not confident in your ability to assess the danger when you get there (or if the route doesn't offer any alternatives in case you decide the crossing is too dangerous), it's best to save the learning opportunities for another day.

boots and ropes

Years ago in November we used a pair of size 13 wading boots that we each took turns stepping into, once across, tied a rope around them and threw them across Indian Pass Brook for the next person to use. Took 9 of us about 30 minutes to do this "system" but it worked.

Good point about water depth. Just ask fly fisherman who wade what water pressure can do.

Besides the hydraulic pressure of the water on your legs, you're carrying a pack which makes you top heavy. Add in the uneven surface of the stream bed, some rocks that might be round or slippery, the occasional hole, and it sometimes doesn't take a lot of water depth to push you off balance and cause you to lose your footing.

Often not a big deal in warm temps when the downstream depths aren't deep, but can really ruin a hike or be bad news in cold temperatures.
I have some personal experience with wading mishaps. :eek:

Anything stream crossing higher than knee deep makes me concerned, especially if the water is moving. I've seen thigh deep water pick people up off their feet and sweep them away downstream before...
Fast enough moving and it takes even less. In Herbert Brook, after/(or during) a thunderstorm, very fast moving water.... a bit more than halfway up to my knees... knocked me down and swept me about 100 feet downstream. I was mostly out of the water.. wasn't deep.. but I just could not stop myself.

Fortunately, I hit a big rock.