Solitude and sunrise on Mt. Willey

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

^MtnMike^

Reaction score
To avoid the bugs and the heat I decided to do a night hike this Tuesday. The small ledge just below Mt. Willey’s summit has always seemed like it would be a good place to watch the sunrise, so I packed up the truck and headed out at 11pm on Monday.

I reached the Ethan Pond trailhead just after 1am and as I got ready to set off I realized that I forgot my hiking poles and my tripod. Doh.

I didn’t see or hear any wildlife as I headed up the trail, just insects (moths and harvestmen were abundant.) I was also buzzed by the occasional UFO and almost stepped on a toad. At the Ethan Pond/Willey Range trail junction I took a break to pick the thick accumulation of spider webs off my face.
After a quick snack I started up the Willey Range trail. The trail was steeper than I remembered, but (thankfully) easily ascended by headlamp.

IMG_1595.jpg

I reached the view point just below the summit at the first hint of twilight. After a breakfast of cold ramen and Gatorade I improvised a makeshift tripod using my backpack and an empty food container. It wasn’t very level, but it kept the camera steady enough for long exposures.
As sunrise approached I watched lenticular clouds form over Mt. Washington and the Northern Presidentials. The brightening sky also brought clouds of black flies :(
Thankfully, there were no mosquitoes, so long sleeves and a head net were sufficient to keep the bugs from biting while I waited for the sun.

IMG_1610.jpg

At 5:15 the sun crested Montalban Ridge. My third 4k sunrise!

IMG_1763.jpg

IMG_1795.jpg

IMG_1835.jpg

After snapping many pictures I headed up over the summit to get some shots of Mt. Willey’s shadow across the Pemigewasset Wilderness.

IMG_1850.jpg

After a quick summit stop I began the descent back down the Willey Range trail. Without my hiking poles the descent was really jarring and tiring on knees. I was extremely happy to see the Ethan Pond trail junction - from there it was smooth sailing back to the trailhead.

I saw no one on the trail the entire hike. This is only the second time I’ve ever had an entire hike all to myself.

A great day!

Full album here

^MtnMike^

Last edited:
Beautiful!

Sunrises are very special and you captured their hypnotic beauty so well! I felt like I was there watching the sunrise along with you. Thanks for sharing!

What a wonderful way to start a day. Your pictures are beautiful; I especially like the one of Mt. Willey's shadow. Lovely.

Love the photos. This a great perspective of the mountains that most people don't ever get to see first hand. I hope to one day

...and it's great you started a new list: The Sunrise 48's! It'll catch on in no time!

Thanks for sharing!
Karl

Your photo of the lenticular cloud over Washington hit me as an especially powerful shot. I could imagine the coolness in the air and the excitement of another new day. Thank you!

Great TR and some really nice pictures! Thank you for sharing. That ledge on Mt. Willey is one of my favorite views in the Whites.

Let me be the first to ask a dumb question....did you make yourself a cup of jo at the top or did you try one of the mocha double espresso turbo shots to get your caffiene?