Twins and Galehead the easy way - 1/1/12

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

According to my recollection, there have only been views on only 1 of my past 10 winter hikes. Well, Dave and I got some today doing the Twins and Galehead and I thought I would share.

We left my truck across the street in the small parking lot on route 3 across from Galehead River Road and Dave drove us to Little River Road. After crossing the bridge, we took a left on the tote road, which led to Haystack Road and the N. Twin Trailhead. The trail was perfect for Microspikes and we bushwhacked to avoid the first two stream crossings. The last crossing was easy due to downed trees across the river.

We then headed up N. Twin, which saw increasing snow, but it was well packed and again, perfect for Microspikes. We eventually got to a partial viewpoint and found the Presidentials in the clear:

ry%3D400

We made a steady climb and Dave led the way to the summit area:

ry%3D400

We went to the west outlook of N. Twin and saw an excellent Franconia Ridge undercast:

ry%3D400

We could also see the clouds building toward S. Twin:

ry%3D400

The walk on the N. Twin Spur was easy and well packed. Dave stopped for a shot in an open area in the col. N. Twin is in background:

ry%3D400

The clouds totally engulfed S. Twin when we arrived:

ry%3D400

With a steady breeze and no views, we quickly did the steep, but easy descent of S. Twin via the Twinway, had a bite at Galehead Hut and headed to Galehead. The mountains were moving in and out of the clouds and we got a nice S. Twin undercast view from the Galehead overlook.

ry%3D400

We then descended via Garfield Ridge, Gale River Trail and the road walk. Again, conditions were great and Dave entertained me with stories of his youth. :)

We got back in time to hear much of the fourth quarter of the Patriots game on the radio, where they buried the Bills.

This is a hard hike made easy by the conditions. It was a pleasure to hike it with Dave!

Happy New Year,
Marty

That undercast yesterday was incredible, huh!? Me and some friends spent the day on Adams and Madison, and the ever changing undercast made for one of the most incredible days above trrline I have ever seen!

Glad you guys got this one nice and easy. I managed to get them done last year on the second attempt for them, but it was a close run thing. One of the toughest hikes I had ever done, and the reason I don't think I will head back to these three for a long LONG time. :D

Brian

Wasn't yesterday one of the best days in the mountains ever!?? We were up on Franconia and had a blast. Great TR and photos!

Marty - I believe we ran in to you yesterday at the Galehead hut. I was the uglier kid with a beard. Good to run in to you on the trail.

That undercast yesterday was incredible, huh!? Me and some friends spent the day on Adams and Madison, and the ever changing undercast made for one of the most incredible days above trrline I have ever seen!

Yes Brian, that undercast was intense! Must have been amazing on Adams and Madison. We were kind of bumming that the clouds engulfed S. Twin when we were above treeline, but you can't win them all. Glad you had a great day in the Northern Presis. That is no easy hike, either.

Marty - I believe we ran in to you yesterday at the Galehead hut. I was the uglier kid with a beard. Good to run in to you on the trail.

Dunbar, yes we did have the pleasure meet at the hut and at the Gale River Rd. parking area. By the way, there is a big difference between uglier and ugliest. I clearly get that award. I was the tall, thin guy with the blue jacket and black balaclava.:)

Kevin, Loanshark and Jacob, thanks for the replies. Glad you enjoyed the report and pix. It was a special day, as Jacob witnessed on Franconia Ridge. :cool:

Marty