Microspike loss saver.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tito Alba

Reaction score
I got my preparation a bit backassward yesterday heading out into six inches of snow and put on my microspike before my gator. Then I had a thought. On a day where you were going to do a 100% microspike hike, putting the gator on top of the microspike could help with the "microspike spin on boot" and microspike getting snagged and lost problem. I didn't try this technique yesterday but will give it a try unless somebody here has an insight as to why I shouldn't. Might add that the gator strap would go between boot and chains as normal.

I got my preparation a bit backassward yesterday heading out into six inches of snow and put on my microspike before my gator. Then I had a thought. On a day where you were going to do a 100% microspike hike, putting the gator on top of the microspike could help with the "microspike spin on boot" and microspike getting snagged and lost problem. I didn't try this technique yesterday but will give it a try unless somebody here has an insight as to why I shouldn't. Might add that the gator strap would go between boot and chains as normal.

the 100% microspike day is kind of rare, I tend to use them on the descents if at all...

Jay

I'm with Jay. I've never had a 100% microspike day. Even if I do wear them on the way. That aside I've also never had the microspike spin on my boot. The toe wire keeps it locked in place. I've also never had one get snagged and come off. I'm thinking perhaps you may be wearing microspikes that are sized to big. If you stretch them to put them on they would not be able to spin I don't think?

I'm with Jay. I've never had a 100% microspike day. Even if I do wear them on the way. That aside I've also never had the microspike spin on my boot. The toe wire keeps it locked in place. I've also never had one get snagged and come off. I'm thinking perhaps you may be wearing microspikes that are sized to big. If you stretch them to put them on they would not be able to spin I don't think?

Here's another take. I wonder if the cleat of the boot keeps Microspikes from spinning? The alignment of some cleats with the Microspikes might hold the unit in place better. Also, a person's particular gait might have something to do with it. (I'll have to watch my friend more closely when she's wearing them to see if she walks "funny.")

A velcro strap across the top works reall well. I grabbed the straps from my damaged Hillsounds and have switched them to the microspikes

Never had a problem with Microspikes becoming detached from my boot on a hike. But if (for whatever reason) this is an issue for someone, then I suppose a setup like shown below might at least prevent the loss of your Microspike should it become detached. I've never had the need to test this setup, but it seems like it should work. However, it might look a bit dorky, and sort of be like wearing suspenders + a belt to keep your pants up!:D
P1050123.JPG

Last edited:
Never had a problem with Microspikes becoming detached from my boot on a hike. But if (for whatever reason) this is an issue for someone, then I suppose a setup like shown below might at least prevent the loss of your Microspike should it become detached. I've never had the need to test this setup, but it seems like it should work. However, it might look a bit dorky, and sort of be like wearing suspenders + a belt to keep your pants up!:D
P1050123.JPG

THAT'S a good idea!!