OK Bokeh on Franconia Ridge

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy

Reaction score
Wanted to play around with bokeh and also distance compression effect, so I decided to use a long lens on this hike. I love the wide angle landscape shots from the ridge, but the weather and time of day wasn't going to provide anything in the way of special light, so I stuck with the long lens.

My friend John and I set a new standard (for us) of laziness and peak-slacking, completing our LH-Lincoln-Lafayette loop in a blazing 11.5 hours. Today the theme was photography, waterfalls, enjoying as much time as possible above treeline, and laziness. Oh, and we took part in the "rescue" (I don't know what other word to use) of a 91 pound dog way up high on Lafayette...that added about 1.5 hours to the trip...loooooong story.

Lincoln viewed from Little Haystack
IMG0514edited-1-L.jpg

John on Little Haystack
IMG0516edited-1-L.jpg

Lincoln
IMG0522edited-1-L.jpg

Any idea what these are? Piece of glass/plastic is about 1 foot by 1 foot
supported by the brace and cables. Saw them between LH and Lincoln.
IMG0525edited-1-L.jpg

Lafayette in the distance
IMG0543edited-1-L.jpg

John and his trusty Nikon
IMG0548edited-1-L.jpg

John straddling Lafayette
IMG0558edited-1-L.jpg

Cannon ski slopes appearing freakishly close to the hut
IMG0567edited-1-L.jpg

A quiet Garfield summit
IMG0586edited-1-L.jpg

Lincoln viewed from Lafayette
IMG0582edited-1-L.jpg

Well, one landscape shot won't hurt
IMG0568edited-1-L.jpg

So what were the hardware and glass you used here?!?!

So what were the hardware and glass you used here?!?!

canon dslr, 70-200mm lens, heliopan polarizer .... heavy as hell to hike with, but worth every ounce ... they're my favorite toys and they're fun to play with

Cool shots!
Always fun to have the time to explore creative photography in the mountains!
Have you ever explored the principles behind "tilt shift" photography? (think creating those super cool "toy like" images) I think you'll find it both fun & fascinating! You can create the effect with your tools, a really heavy & expensive hunk of glass called a tilt-shift lens, or create your own even in the basic Photoshop (Elements) program. I've been messing around with a ton of hiking shots in Photoshop with super cool results :)

Have you ever explored the principles behind "tilt shift" photography? (think creating those super cool "toy like" images) I think you'll find it both fun & fascinating! You can create the effect with your tools, a really heavy & expensive hunk of glass called a tilt-shift lens, or create your own even in the basic Photoshop (Elements) program. I've been messing around with a ton of hiking shots in Photoshop with super cool results :)
You can only adjust the perspective effects in post-processing, but not get the extended depth-of-focus that a tilt-shift lens can provide in certain situations.

You can also get the shift effect (perspective control) of a tilt-shift lens with a wide angle lens by placing the object-of-interest off center and cropping in post. For instance, when shooting a tall building from ground level, hold the film/sensor plane parallel to the front of the building to avoid the tapered appearance that you will get if you aim the camera up at the center of the building.

See, for instance:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/movements.shtml
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/tutorials/focusing-ts.shtml

Doug

Last edited: