Any Grafton Loopers this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChacoTaco

Reaction score
We are heading up early Friday morning to the Grafton Loop Trailhead. Any of you guys gonna be out?

I am going to try to figure out a way of doing at least one side of the loop as a logn day hike on Wednesday. Just need to figure out the best options for getting back to my car.

We are heading up early Friday morning to the Grafton Loop Trailhead. Any of you guys gonna be out?

I'll be far away this weekend, but enjoy the heck out of that trail! It's one of my favorites for a nice, rugged weekend backpacking trip. I'll find a time to get out on the trail with you again sometime soon :)

We were just on Old Speck last Sunday. Planning to do the loop one of these days as well. Enjoy your trip! :)

Camping

Any good legal camp spots before the Baldpate Lean-to? We are coming in late Friday and will be looking for something within the 2.2 minus the 1/4 mile boundary within the lean-to. Figured there would be something to settle down on for a quiet night away from the lean to.

no legal site before baldpate

The closest to the rd. campsite is bald mt. tent site, reliable water, tent platforms, bear box and quick hike from south parking.. have fun!

The closest to the rd. campsite is bald mt. tent site, reliable water, tent platforms, bear box and quick hike from south parking.. have fun!
Baldpate Leanto. Thats what im seeing on the map and its the northernmost trailhead.

Im thinking about just getting an early start. The Leanto will be over run with thru's Im sure.

Last edited:
Just to be clear:

There's W Baldpate lean-to and tentsites on the AT not far from the road in Grafton Notch.
There's E Baldpate tentsite on the Grafton Loop after it departs from the AT and descends E Baldpate southward.

Just to be clear:

There's W Baldpate lean-to and tentsites on the AT not far from the road in Grafton Notch.
There's E Baldpate tentsite on the Grafton Loop after it departs from the AT and descends E Baldpate southward.

Yea and Im an idiot. There is a Bald Mtn on teh sourthern end. I was looking for something in red on teh map that said campsite or lean to. My apologies. There are platforms there?

Yea and Im an idiot. There is a Bald Mtn on teh sourthern end. I was looking for something in red on teh map that said campsite or lean to. My apologies. There are platforms there?

W Baldpate lean-to and all of the Grafton Loop tentsites had no platforms that I recall - just established clearings in the woods with dirt "pads". Some on the west side are raised and really nice.

The only platforms I recall in the area are at the Mahoosuc Trail sites: Speck Pond, Full Goose, Carlo Col.

The loop is awesome, you're going to have great weather and an awesome time!

W Baldpate lean-to and all of the Grafton Loop tentsites had no platforms that I recall - just established clearings in the woods with dirt "pads". Some on the west side are raised and really nice.

The only platforms I recall in the area are at the Mahoosuc Trail sites: Speck Pond, Full Goose, Carlo Col.

The loop is awesome, you're going to have great weather and an awesome time!

Ok cool. I just dont want to camp where we arent supposed to camp. We follow all camping guidelines and get 100 yards off when we need to.

Ok cool. I just dont want to camp where we arent supposed to camp. We follow all camping guidelines and get 100 yards off when we need to.

If I recall correctly, due to the fact over 2/3 of the loop is on private land, camping is permitted *only* at the designated sites.

o.k.

there ARE tent platforms @ bull-run site and BALD mt. site (west side).. NO platforms @ the baldpates sites.. the closest to the rd. and ease of hiking is BALD mt. @ the south.. NO camping anywhere except @ designated sites and no fires either (due to most of the trail running thru private party), all sites are nice IMHO and easy to get to..

In case you didnt see my report, the route is a bit difficult to follow on the south end going west. It crosses a few roads and there are some less than obvious turns. Even though there are signs in trees at most turns and exits from open fields, there is at least one left turn off a logging road onto a older road that is only marked by a pile of stones (maybe 1 foot high). As mentioined once you get in the woods the trail becomes quite apparent. I would not want to try the initial section with a headlamp.

More than a few folks have car camped on the logging road that leaves RT 26 north of Screw auger falls.