12 pt crampons?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People on this board tend to swear by the Grivel G-10s with the Newmatic bindings for 10 point crampons. I assume the G-12s are just as good. Any reason you want 12 points over 10s? On leather boots I would think there are few reasons to go for the heavier 12s.

-dave-

I have had good luck with Camp Ice Rider crampons. They are a little heavy, but they are bomb-proof.

My buddy uses BD's 12 point offering, with the heel/toe bail combination. They seem to be sufficient, even on mixed climbs.

-percious

10 points are more for hikeing while the 12pt are for more technical ice and snow travel.Grivel has a good chart showing the best use for each of its crampons.Talk to an outfitter of mountianeering equipment because not all crampons are compatible with all boots.Even technical boots have compatability problems with different cramps.If you already own a pair af boots that preform well for you I would recomend taking them with you and have them fitted,new crampons usualy come as a box of parts and need to be sized. :) IMO G-10's work with almost any thing(even with my exum ridge's for a short bit going up Algonquin in the fall untill my feet couldn't take it any more.

I recieved a pair of Grivel G10s with the New Classic (strap-on) binding for Christmas based largely on their popularity on this board. I've been using them on a set of insulated leather workboots on a few hikes lately and I'm very pleased with them so far.

If you are having trouble with your old crampons bending, why would you want to buy a pair of aluminum alloy crampons like the G-12s or G-10s? In a winter like this with patchy snow cover and lot's of bare rock, you are better off with a more durable, if slightly heavier steel crampon. I use the Charlet Moser Super 12s, they work on my plastics, my double leather ski boots and even my Sorels if I'm careful. They are hinged and can flex, are available with an extender bar and an anti-bot plate.

Last edited:
John Graham said:
If you are having trouble with your old crampons bending, why would you want to buy a pair of aluminum alloy crampons like the G-12s or G-10s? In a winter like this with patchy snow cover and lot's of bare rock, you are better off with a more durable, if slightly heavier steel crampon. I use the Charlet Moser Super 12s, they work on my plastics, my double leather ski boots and even my Sorels if I'm careful. They are hinged and can flex, are available with an extender bar and an anti-bot plate.

Uh, someone might want the G-10 or G-12 because:
1. Grivel crampons are actually all made of chromolly steel (i.e., steel plus molybdenum plus chrome plus nickel), not aluminum (except the Air Tech Light, which is a light alloy.)
2. The G-10 and the G-12 are both available with a flexible regulation bar, when equipped with the New Classic (i.e., strap) binding.
3. Antibotts are now standard on all Grivel crampons, except G9 and Racing.

These details and more are available on
Grivel's web site.

I can remember in 1909 when grivel introduced the first modern crampon.No all kiding aside I own grivel G-10 for hiking,Grivel Rambo mono's for WI and Black Diamond Sabor tooth for AI.Love them all for what they are intended and in a pinch they do over lap.I beleave that just like major truck manufactures,Major crampon manufactures produce exelent equipment.Talk to an out fitter about your needs(intended use) and what you want to match them to(already owned boots?)You dont have to purchace them where talk or shop them out and most reputibale(sp) outfitters will direct you to the product you are seeking even if they don't stock them,they know who does.Enjoy :)

The skinny on crampons

I have the Grivel G-12 Crampomatics. Now I know these don't fit leather boots but there is a version that will. The point is...12 points are always better than 10. I stood atop Wright Mt. in mid Feb. with 40mph winds and I was glued down. My old 10 pointers were never that solid.

I would like if possible to use 1 pair of crampons with Koflach degrees and my 3 season hiking boot..Can I use the grivel new matic?..Does the back part have to snap into a groove? I can't afford buying 2 pairs and the way the winter is going I just might be doing most of my hiking in 20 degree weather..I will bring both boots to a store to check..Thx

adamiata, how stiff are the workboots? steel shank? I've seen crampons break on workboots before, they will work for a while but most tend to be too flexible.

coldfeet: I've been very happy with my Grivel G-10 New CLASSIC crampons. I'm not sure how well the NewMatics would do with your leathers. The last thign that you want is to havea crampon come off. Go with the New CLASSIC IMHO. You are doing the right thing by having them fitted to both sets of boots (mine fit pretty much anytihng I hike in)

coldfeet said:
I would like if possible to use 1 pair of crampons with Koflach degrees and my 3 season hiking boot..Can I use the grivel new matic?..Does the back part have to snap into a groove? I can't afford buying 2 pairs and the way the winter is going I just might be doing most of my hiking in 20 degree weather..I will bring both boots to a store to check..Thx

The newmatic snaps onto the heel block thats on most stiff soled winter(ish) boots. Testing for fit is a good idea.

Mike P. said:
adamiata, how stiff are the workboots? steel shank? I've seen crampons break on workboots before, they will work for a while but most tend to be too flexible.

They're pretty flexible, when I bend the toe with the crampons mounted to them I can see that the joint on my semi-flexible crampons are indeed binding and under some stress. However, I knew I would be encountering this going in. At this point I can't justify the cost of a set of plastic boots, perhaps in the future. I'm sticking mostly to light duty use of them, and by next winter I should be able to afford some stiffer boots.

Here is a decent link for information about the various Grivel crampons.
Originally I was going for the 12's too, but was told that these are more for climbing than traversing....then I needed to figure out which ones will work with my boots and which ones require the Mountaineering boots.
In the end, I went with some Black Diamonds (strap on) from Dick's because they were on sale, but think that the Grivels are very comparable.
http://www.sportextreme.com/pq314/

I know I've been told they are overkill BUT I LOVE my Grivel G-12s . . . they have super grip and I feel very safe and secure in them. The biggest difference I see with my G-12s versus the G-10s my friends use is that my points are FAR sharper and that eases my mind. Mine are semi-automatic, also called New-matic bindings and if I had to do it over, I would get the New Classic bindings with the straps so I can put them on any kind of footwear . . .

sli74

My wife and I have several pair of crampons. the most versatile , for us, are the ones that strap on...both heel and toe. I like the Grivel 10 pointers, they seem to do the trick and are nice and light.