Zealand road?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadRiver

Reaction score
Anyone know the condition of the Zealand road with respect to snow cover? I plan to pull a pulk next weekend.

It is well covered but quite firm. Lumpy in places too. After a couple of inches of snow, it should be perfect.

And it's about to change tomorrow ...

There's a current trail report on NE TRails - which is the best place to find this information.

Last edited:
And it's about to change tomorrow ...

Yeah, we still had about 18" of snow (if it hadn't been disturbed) in Bethlehem this past Saturday, but that may be way different by this week.

EDIT: I just actually checked the forecast. I'm saying the same as ADKnBVI: Couple inches of pow pow over ice.

Last edited:
Anyone wondered about the latest trip report under 'New Hampshire' via Zealand Road to Zealand Hut saying last quarter mile to the hut is very steep? My memory might be hazy but I thought the only steep section to the hut is from where you leave your ski's and that is about 50 yards.

3 inches of fluff at Carragain. Temperature was 15 when I drove thru Notch at 3. Probably last 200 yards to the hut is very steep.

FYI the ski rack is no longer there. It came down, and would actually require going through USFS red tape to put back up (according to the caretaker when I was up there). Apparently it also was not actually intended to be a ski rack, despite working almost perfectly as one.

Did Carrigain today - about 2" of new fluff down low, about 3" up high. New snow is dry. It helps with all the postholers from this weekend, but not enough to fix the track, so use caution.

Thanks. I was just wondering about the road, not so much about the trail. With this new snow the road should be fine. I will take it slow on the trail so I do not constantly dump the pulp. Also, I have taken it to Zealand at least three times and the last 150 is the hardest, and the last 50 feet is the most difficult. I generally switch to crampons for the last pull.