Waumbek/South Weeks via starr king and k.r.t trails. 3-10-13.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Oak

Reaction score
trail conditions;see steve r's report for waumbek.Kilkenney ridge trail to south weeks was a straightforward snowshoe straight along the Waumbek ridge heading east.Dropping into the col between south weeks and waumbek's eastern ridge the k.r.t. was a free for all with bombadil's tracks being the best bet.His fading tracks went to the right of the trail the closer to weeks with good reason.This area was very lightly blazed with some blowdowns confusing matters.There appeared to be some other track going all over the place,wonder if person got to the summit?Gaining the summit from its eastern side seemed key,lots of spruce with the blowdowns could make the trail proper a real bear.Very open area on the rounded eastern flank of south weeks made this hike much easier with the summit easy to spot.
spec. equipment;snowshoes most of hike.
comments;Sun was miserable at start of hike.Thanks to bryan and bombadil for posting their hikes of this area in winter which helped motivate me to give it a go.A extra thanks to bombadil for giving me some tracks to chew on between south weeks and waumbek.Views along eastern waumbek ridge very impressive.Seems light snow season in general helped route finding quite a bit.After this rain trail will be a mess to south weeks with none of our tracks left.The reclimb of waumbek ridge was tough with snow all loose and the weather got cold along the ridge at end of day[surprisingly] with winds picking up.Hiked last part of hike from starr king to parking lot in semi darkness due to late start[noon].Guess I have started a new list 100 highest in winter,did some math and figure it will take me 8-12 years at my slow pace:)Nice to meet Steve r and Kibo.
pics;https://picasaweb.google.com/sasha.learnard/WaumbekSWeeks31013OldSpeck31113#

Last edited: