Scotland Trip

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rugger

Reaction score
Thinking about taking a week hiking in Scotland this summer. Any suggestions, advice etc?

Thanks

The thread has unfortunately been removed. I just PM'd Tom (Dalraida) about it -- hopefully he can repost.

-Wu

What specifically do you want to know? Are you planning a hiking trip or a tourist trip?

Alistair,

Would like to plan a hiking trip, about a week long. At this point my wife and I just started discussing it this past weekend so do not have any clear ideas what we want yet.

Thanks

There is a trail known as "The West Highland Way" that will take just under a week to walk.

Scotland Adventure

To Rugger et. al.

I am in the process of planning my tenth trip to the Western Highlands of Scotland and probably the Isle of Skye again, August 8 through the 18th. You are welcome to ask me what you like, and I will try to give you the info you need. Here are a few things to get you started: I have been over in April, June, July, and August. Most people like the early months, but I found too much rain. August has always been the best weather for my trips however there is one minor problem with July and August. There is a biting insect that the Scots call the "Midge". It happens to be the same little guy that we encounter some warm July and August nights that we, and the New England Native Americans called the "No-See-Ums". They are by no means as mean as our "Black Flies". I have found that they are easily kept a bay by a very light repellant. In fact that "Skin-so-Soft" stuff works very well on them unlike our Black Flies". The first time I was over there, I was sporting a dark tan from hiking in the Whites all summer. An old woman at one B&B I stayed at told me "the midgees won't bother ye, since you're so dark". She was absolutely right. Not one bite during my whole stay.

My trip usually cost me under $2K including airfare. I usually stay in hostels and take the local buses to and from trailheads. They are great except on Sundays when most don't run.

A family which I have never met spent a week to ten days over there based on my information and gave me glowing reports including pictures when they got back. I will email them to see if I can give you their e address.

I will re-post my trip plans in April to see if I can gather any adventurous people who would like a free guide, and for company this time.

Cheers, TomW

Last edited:
Good months for Scotland trip

I have been to Scotland three times, twice in May and once in September. We had very nice weather in May, and September was cooler and rainier. I have heard that the midges are pretty bad!
:eek:

We did seventy of the ninety miles of the West Highland Way, and loved it. Have stayed at the Aigas Field Center in Beauly twice. We hiked a bit on the Isle of Sky and went to Handa, which is a bird refuge off the west coast. We saw puffins, kittiwakes, skuas, etc. It was a neat trip. :)

West Highland Way

This trail takes you through some of the most beautiful country in Scotland. As for the weather.... you just never know. The west of Scotland is known for its changing weather and its rain. As for the midges.... they are ferocious! The bites are not as severe as black flies, but these little buggers are everywhere.

I don't have any week long hike recommendations, however, if you are interested in day hikes, the following may be of interest.

Glen Coe
Aonach Eagach - a scramble across a ridge with significant exposure
Bidean Nam Bian
Buachaille Etive Mor
Glen Nevis
Ben Nevis - via the Carn Mor Dearg arete and down the "tourist path"
Ring of Steall
Isle of Skye
Bruach Na Frithe
Torridon -- I didn't get to hike here but it looked real good

I believe Lonely Planet's book on walking in Britain may have some good suggestions on week long hikes.

Also, I suggest you post your question in one of the forums on this site http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/ -- it is an outdoor site that I believe has great emphasis on Scotland.

Also, there is a magazine published in the UK called Trail and it lists plenty of hikes. I don't know if it is on-line but it is worth a search.

For what it is worth, I went in the middle of Oct for about two weeks and had some real good sunny days and only a couple of rainy and snowy days.

I hope this helpful.

We went there last May. If you are planning to walk the Way be advised to make bookings early. May is a popular month avoiding those darn Midges. I would go back in a heartbeat.
Here are a few photos i took that will hopefully get you excited. If you want to Email me or PM me I would gladly answer any questions you may have. Here is a link to my photos

Scotland pics for you

Thanks to all for your advice and comments, they are most helpful. We are very excited about going, wish it was tomorrow! The Ring of Steall looks to be a great hike so that is definately on the itenary. Between now and when we go I will figure out how to post pictures.

Rugger

argh, I am getting envious, one of these days I will have to take a hiking vacation somewhere else besides NH and ME, which have been trumping Scotland and England and Scandinavia and Nova Scotia and Utah for budgetary reasons :( . (although I suppose I should count my blessings for living in northern New England rather than, say, Iowa :rolleyes: )

if you find some areas that are interesting for botanical reasons, please post...

Exchange Rate is awful

I'm putting going back to Scotland on hold for this year. The $ exchange rate is part of the reason. Instead, I am going to do a month+ trip to Newfoundland and Labrador with a re-visit to Nova Scotia en-route.

It's a pity, because I just renewed my membership in the Scottish Mountaineering Council which gives very cheap rates on the many mountain huts throughout Scotland. They are somewhat like doing AMC huts on caretaker basis. Lighting, bunks, heating, cooking facilities, utensils and good company for about five bucks a night.

If anyone is going they should seriously consider this option.

tomw