Micro-spikes: sharpen, or replace?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Someone mentioned in another thread that it was "time to sharpen up the micro-spikes."
That got me thinking, and I have a couple of questions:

1) I have the Kahtoola's. Would you sharpen those, or would you use them for two seasons then replace? This is still my first pair as I haven't been winter hiking for too long, so I don't really have any expectations with regard to longevity.

2) If you'd sharpen them, any recommendations on how to do it? Would you sharpen them with a file the same way you would crampons?

Thanks much.

If you chose to sharpen them, then do so with a hand file to avoid overheating.

Personally, I'd replace them. By the time they need sharpening, the neoprene may be nicked, and/or the links becoming fatigued, etc.

They're not intended to be heir looms.

Agree with Kevin about not trying to sharpen the small, hardened steel points.
I'd call Kahtoola and tell them the points have lost their grip and you're concerned about using them.
I'm guessing they'll have a solution that might include replacing them for you depending on how long and how hard you've used them.

Let us know.

Before last season I sharpened both mine and my wife's with a hand file. Hers turned out great, but mine were significantly more worn (perhaps due to the additional 100 pounds they carry!), and I just couldn't get them very sharp. So I bought a new pair and use the old ones in the shoulder season, on hikes when I expect to be transitioning frequently from rock to crusty snow to frozen ground to ice and so on.

I too sharpened mine. Honestly, it is not worth the trouble, just buy a new pair. I do however sharpen my crampons.

I think PA Ridgerunner has the best approach. Rotate in a new set for winter and keep the older set for shoulder seasons or to lend out for new hikers. Usually the sales on them stop soon. I find that the points on the Hillsounds being fewer and more prominent tend to require less sharpening to be effective but at best the impact may be minor. In general the most important maintenance is to stretch all the attachment points with the rubber and check carefully for any nicks or cracks. Stretch material does wear out and age over time. Additionally use a pair of Chanellocks and snug up any open loops.

I will also make a plug for adding a Velcro strap over the instep like Hillsound supplies on theirs. Keeping the chains snug against the boot compared to letting then hang loose seems to extend their lives and just about eliminates walking out of them and losing one on the trail without noticing. I attribute this to using an instep strap keeps the rubber higher up on the boot keeping the metal to rubber pinch point away from the lower edge of the boot.

Last edited:
I'd still start with a call to Kahtoola. Their customer service is supposed to be great. I've beaten my pair up pretty well and would be interested in hearing where they feel normal wear and tear crosses over into replacement.

I've sharpened two pairs with a file and they worked well. Ultimately the rubber failed (as peakbagger mentions) before the points were filed too low to be useful.

Tim

I sharpened mine with a fine hand file very carefully last fall about this time. With about 15 minutes of work, they were sharper than when new. Just make sure not to nick the rubber at all, or that nick will likely turn into a tear (and a failure) real fast. I noticed a huge difference in grip once doing it. YMMV.

I'd still start with a call to Kahtoola. Their customer service is supposed to be great. I've beaten my pair up pretty well and would be interested in hearing where they feel normal wear and tear crosses over into replacement.

I'm wondering if anyone has gone down this road? My microspikes are turning into micronubs. It is interesting to see how much faster the ball wears out compared to the heal (for me at least).