View Poll Results: Do you hike or climb solo? How often? What seasons?

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • I hike or climb solo all 4 seasons with some frequency.

110 69.62%
  • I hike or climb solo all 4 seasons occasionally or rarely.

22 13.92%
  • I hike or climb solo in warmer seasons with some frequency.

12 7.59%
  • I hike solo or climb solo in warmer seasons occasionally or rarely.

12 7.59%
  • I do not hike or climb solo.

2 1.27%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Poll: Hiking or Climbing Solo - Do you do it? Ever?

Dartmouth, Nova Scotia - Avatar: Lion Head trail
    My itinerary is almost always solo, although I stick to official trails and try to start out with people behind and ahead of me. I'm mostly a 3 season hiker with occasional visits to Tuckerman in the winter and spring for the hiking and skiing. When I go up there, its always when there are a fair number of other hikers/skiers/boarders around, although I usually travel from Nova Scotia solo.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    The vast majority of people here (85% or more) appear to hike in winter solo on occasion and 100% of respondents (all 97) hike solo sometimes.
    Not to be a "Debbie Downer" here but: Only the vast majority of people who responded to the poll hike in winter solo.
    The vast majority of VFTT'rs or the general hiking public did not respond and do not hike winter solo.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

I solo'd the Tripyramids today. LOTS of animal tracks Unbroken powder. Skied up Livermore Road and snowshoed Scaur over to Middle and back.

Tim
    Bike, Hike, Ski, Sleep. Eat, Fish, Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Not to be a "Debbie Downer" here but: Only the vast majority of people who responded to the poll hike in winter solo.
    The vast majority of VFTT'rs or the general hiking public did not respond and do not hike winter solo.
    Debbie Downer,

I agree - that's why the post you quoted says "The vast majority of people here (85% or more) appear to hike in winter solo on occasion and 100% of respondents (all 97) hike solo sometimes." Emphasis added. It's also why my other posts in the thread refer to the poll not being scientific, and why I when I have quoted numbers, I have been careful to specify it's just from the respondents to this poll.

Out of curiosity, how do you know that Vast Majority of VFTTers do not hike solo in winter ever? That may or may not be true but of the well over 100 people who have responded to this thread, the Vast Majority, more than 85%, do actually hike solo in winter. I would like as many active members to answer as possible.

How many people are VFTTers? Not how many have a profile, but how many active members do we actually have?

Oh Tim? Let's say active is one or more posts in the last month. Do you have that info at your fingertips?
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

3097 registered users
    256 have posted this year
    406 have visited this year

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by bikehikeskifish View Post
    3097 registered users

Tim
    Thank you Sir.

So roughly 46% of the VFTTs who have posted this year have taken the poll (118 of 256).

and 29% of the VFTTers who have visited this year have taken the poll (118 of the 406).
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

Okay ! My apologies. I stand corrected.
    Clearly 46% of the VFTT'rs who have posted this year have taken the poll !

I guess I'm not sure why we're not running into more of you. It's generally pretty quiet out there.
    Dead Last > Did Not Finish > Did Not Start

* ALL STANDARD DISCLAIMERS APPLY: IIRC. YRMV. IMHO. FWIW. HYOH. NO WARRANTIES, EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, ARE MADE
    THAT INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS POST IS ACCURATE, RELIABLE OR APPROPRIATE FOR ANY PARTICULAR SITUATION.

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Okay ! My apologies. I stand corrected.
    Clearly 46% of the VFTT'rs who have posted this year have taken the poll !

I guess I'm not sure why we're not running into more of you. It's generally pretty quiet out there.
    I'd be interested to see what the numbers would look like if we could get nearly all VFTTers to take it - I was suprised the numbers seem so high myself Chip, but now I'm curious about the percentages for the larger group and non-VFTTers as well.

Keep in mind that all someone has to do is hike solo once in a while in the winter to be part of the 85%. Many of those 85% could still hike in groups very often as well.

As far as not running into solo hikers more often, If I am hiking solo and want solitide, I tend to avoid popular trails at popular times. In winter, that is not so easy, but in summer, I avoid the popular trails and I sometimes start very early or very late any time of year. I plan trips with crowd-avoidance in mind. It's not cuncommon for me to hike all day and only see 1-2 others or no one for that matter. I hiked Garfield 3 weeks ago on a Saturday without seeing a single other person on trail and no prints showing anyone had been on trail or across the ridge. Those days in winter are rarer than they were 10 years ago, but there is something very special about being the only one on the mountain.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

I have learned that VFTT does not automatically glean all of the uber hikers out there, FWIW. Many gridiots, NH200/300 finishers, SSW48ers, soloists, etc., just don't care for the "online hiking experience". So, while there is probably more experience than average in those 406/256 (just a guess), by no means can one infer that there are not others out there doing more exotic things than soloing in winter.

Tim

Most of my hikes are solo. For many years I would average 2 day hikes a month or more, year round. I do not have the itch to go hiking this winter, looking forward to spring. If hiking partners are available I prefer the company but usually I decide to hike within 12 hours of actually going based on the weather reports. I consider solo hiking much safer then group hiking for many reasons, the ability to be flexible being one of them. Just shear numbers being another, there are less ankles that could potentially sprain, and as arrogant as it sounds, I trust my own judgement over 90% of of others I would hook up with.

I have learned that VFTT does not automatically glean all of the uber hikers out there, FWIW. Many gridiots, NH200/300 finishers, SSW48ers, soloists, etc., just don't care for the "online hiking experience". So, while there is probably more experience than average in those 406/256 (just a guess), by no means can one infer that there are not others out there doing more exotic things than soloing in winter.

Tim
    One way to interpret this pole may be that VFTT users -- of any experience level -- are in general very motivated people. We are motivated to think and write about hiking in our free time, and we are likewise motivated to actually go hiking, regardless of whether or not anyone can join us.

I answered the 1st option as most did on here.. I solo hike roughly 75% of the time year round.. mainly because majority of my hiking friends have different free days and a hike is better than no hike..

Tim
    Without a doubt. This poll seems pretty representative of VFTT it appears (presidential elections are called on lower percentages for example), but I would not extend the conclusions past this forum. A poll of hikers at random locations on random days could give an idea of what may be occurring.

Interestingly enough, a paper was somehow published with n=199 in a Brown study done recently trying to determine who carries gear recommended by HikeSafe. From the article: "To compile the data, Mason surveyed 199 hikers in the summer of 2011 at the heads of three trails of varying difficulty in the national forest." I made my opinion clear in the thread that I thought that n value seemed very low for publishable work. For comparison, this poll is up to n=120 and is increasing daily. If one could show that VFTT represents a somewhat random sampling of hikers (at least equal to picking three trailheads), we are getting close to that number. The author of that work made conclusions from that sample and had his work reviewed by a board and published.

http://news.brown.edu/pressreleases/2013/05/hikers

VFTT Thread on said article:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...own+university

A poll of random hikers would certainly be interesting to see in order to find out if the numbers we are seeing here on VFTT are reflected throughout the mountain community in general. There seems to be a sense that VFTT is somehow a group of "experts." Maybe so, but as Tim has pointed out, there are plenty of "experts" in the hills, likely hiking solo on occasion, who are not part of VFTT.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

3097 registered users
    Presumably "this year" means since January 1

Tim probably has the statistics to prove it, but the forum definitely gets more visitors in summer as many folks don't hike at all in winter, or not often enough to care about a hiking forum

The forum-non-winter-visitors are unlikely to be heavy winter solo hikers, it might be interesting to capture the votes so far at the end of each month and see how the distribution changes as 3-season and summer-only hikers come back

Votes after first 120:
    I hike or climb solo all 4 seasons with some frequency. 88 73.33%
    I hike or climb solo all 4 seasons occasionally or rarely. 15 12.50%
    I hike or climb solo in warmer seasons with some frequency. 8 6.67%
    I hike solo or climb solo in warmer seasons occasionally or rarely. 7 5.83%
    I do not hike or climb solo. 2 1.67%
    Last edited by RoySwkr; 02-08-2014 at 10:57 AM. Reason: add stats

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    Presumably "this year" means since January 1
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by RoySwkr View Post
    Tim probably has the statistics to prove it, but the forum definitely gets more visitors in summer as many folks don't hike at all in winter, or not often enough to care about a hiking forum
    There are definitely seasonal variations. There is definitely an uptick in winter - probably for trail conditions.

Pages/requests for the last 12 months.

Tim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pages-vftt.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	57.0 KB 
ID:	4874  
    Last edited by bikehikeskifish; 02-08-2014 at 11:15 AM.