Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Edmunds Col Fatality

Edmunds Col Fatality

Reported fatality on Edmunds Col (White Mtns) recovery underway, no other details.

Posssible rescue Northern Whites today ?

Two F&G trucks at Lowes store and some activity across RT 2 from the road to Stearns lodge at mid afternoon but gone an hour later. I would guess F&G probably met someone for a walkdown
    Last edited by peakbagger; 02-29-2016 at 04:15 AM. Reason: THis appears to have been moved by moderator to reflect new information

My group was at the col around 1pm on Saturday - very few parties out, and all appeared copacetic. The problem, if one, must have happened after that.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Reported fatality on Edmunds Col (White Mtns) recovery underway, no other details.
    http://www.wmur.com/news/unidentifie...trail/38248844
    Humankind has not woven the web of life.
    We are but one thread within it.
    Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves.
    All things are bound together.
    All things connect.
    ~ Chief Seattle, 1854 ~

If he truly was found at treeline as the article indicates, that'd be further down the mountain in the ravine. Either way, RIP and everyone take care out there.

A bit more info http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...WS07/160229107

This trail doesn't get a lot of use in winter as it can be prone to deep snow and I expect avalanches. It gets quite steep near the top. It is definitely a secondary route to the summits in non snow seasons despite the rather nice terrain it passes through down in the bottom although it can be wet. Tree line is about 1000 feet below the Randolph Path Junction. If the location is described correctly there may be periods of days or weeks where no hiker uses it during a normal winter.

Well.... here we go again.. I'm so curious..I bet I know what happened...

http://www.northeastmountainguides.com/about_us
    Last edited by CaptCaper; 02-29-2016 at 03:50 PM.

http://www.neclimbs.com/SMF_2/index....ic,9541.0.html

If he was wearing Yaktrax, he may have slid into the ravine from above.

Tillson, New York Avatar: Dress for success!
    There are several models of Yaktrax, some are just as good as Microspikes...
    Tom Rankin
    Volunteer Balsam Lake Mountain
    Past President Catskill 3500 Club
    CEO

"It's never a good thing to be hiking alone in the White Mts" NH Fish and Game Lt Wayne Saunders
    Really? Isn't that a bit of an over-reaction?
    "I am a pilgrim and a stranger"

'Springtime' on the Carters (Somerville, MA)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey J View Post
    "It's never a good thing to be hiking alone in the White Mts" NH Fish and Game Lt Wayne Saunders
    I was thinking the same thing. There was a long thread about that after a rescue a couple years ago: http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthrea...you-do-it-Ever
    | 63.0% W48: 19/48
    Trail Adopter of the Guinea Pond Trail

Quote Originally Posted by Grey J View Post
    Not really considering were he's coming from... It's the truth... Good for Lt Saunders for trying to put the fear into weekend warriors. It's his job. I've seen all too many deaths and injuries in the Whites with folks and or solo hikers over the years. Every holiday and or weekend especially with some unstable weather coming in my wife and I predict someone is going to perish and or have to be rescued...
    I've got a base of thoughts to figure when these folks will perish... 1. They've planned for a long time to do a certain list or record setting. Or just plain vacation and they talk themselves into keeping the A plan. (We've always had a B Plan as well) 2. Despite the fact weather predicting is basically predictable only about 6 hrs before hand. They figure it will work for them because the % of it coming in early or turbulent is slim. 3. A lot of these folks are very experienced and way over confident in there abilities to plan and execute hikes. 4. Sh** always happens and it comes in multiple stages at times. "Do you feel lucky Well do you?"

Now I'm curious as to when Tim hiked and what took him out. He probably was doing his 4000 NE winter solo list.. I bet he was on his A plan.

None of those points you mention above are isolated to only solo hikers.

The harsh reality is if you are not able to get yourself out of a situation, but are alive and conscious, it's hard to argue that a partner would not be helpful.

The other reality is that 'groupthink' is real, and people could put themselves out of their element but trying to keep up....

We also can't forget that there are I presume 1,000's of solo-hikers each year, and accidents like this are exceedingly rare. I mostly solo, and I'm still here, for example.

It also discounts that a) Whatever put him there, could've happened to both his partner as well; b) He was DOA as soon as he hit the ground, so there wasn't much saving him anyway.