Scotland - Ben Nevis

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arm

Reaction score
spent a few days visiting Scotland's Highlands after catching a music festival in Amsterdam last week

flew into Edinburgh, rented a car with left-handed clutch (manual transmission) to drive on the wrong side of the road up to Glen Coe, then spent two nights at Clachaig Inn
http://www.clachaig.com/

scouted out Fort William, picked up a local hillwalking guidebook, then cruised to the trailhead, where i tried to score a bunk at Ben Nevis Inn - they were booked as this was easter weekend, so i settled for a bunk at Fort William Backpackers Hostel in town
http://www.ben-nevis-inn.co.uk/
http://www.hostel-scotland.co.uk/hostels/index.asp?ID=73

decided to attempt Ben Nevis, at 4405' the highest summit in the United Kingdom, deep in the heart of the Highlands

Collins Ramblers Guide to Ben Nevis & Glen Coe suggested a loop over Carn Mor Dearg, instead of the standard "Tourist Track" which is an easier ("less interesting") wide switchbacking sidewalk

starting from close to sea level, the 10-mile loop hillwalk would cover over 5000' vertical gain, so i retired to the Inn and enjoyed tasty cask-conditioned ales

cruised to Glen Nevis Visitor Center the next morning to check weather forecast, and talked to the folks there, who were not crazy about my plans of attempting the ridge walk loop solo - they calmed down a bit once they made sure that i was carrying a "torch" to stay on the trail hiking out in the dark

crossed the bridge and started up the Tourist Track, wider than a sidewalk, with some nice stone work, stairs and switchbacks which made for easy walking up to the junction near Lochan Meall an t-Suidhe, a small lake at 1850'

turned left here, leaving the Tourist Track, following a herd path around Carn Dearg, towards Allt a'Mhullin Glen, a valley carved on Ben Nevis' north side - spotted deer along this section, and many sheep, which were everywhere

Rambler's Guide suggested dropping down towards the Coire Leis river here, losing close to 500' elevation, but i decided to follow the herd path, which continued along the countour towards Charles Inglis Clark Hut, leaving the herd path as i neared the hut to cross the river, which was running high ... i chose a spot where the river split into shallower branches

grabbed lunch at the base of the steep hillside i'd be climbing, checking out the terrain, covered with heather, scree and mossy rock ... chose a path which avoided large mossy slippery rock slabs, but led through plenty of loose scree and heather fields - tough scrambling up the steep hillside, gaining 1800' in under a mile

reached the ridgeline close to Carn Dearg Meadhonach (3867') then dipped down to climb up to Carn Mor Dearg (big red cairn)

clouds lifted briefly to uncover Ben Nevis, lifting my spirits to believe i might have views from the summit, and make it easier to locate the path hiking down the other side once i reached it

that idea was crushed a short while later when clouds rolled back in, socking me in for a while - eerie scenery felt like a scene from Lord of the Rings

knife edge heading over towards Ben Nevis was called Carn Mor Dearg Arete (headwall?), and had steep cliffs which reminded me alot of Mount Katahdin's Knife Edge

reached the base of Ben Nevis' summit cone, which left about 1000' of climbing up a boulder slope - spotted abseil posts here, which Winter climbers use to descend into the valley

climbed up to Ben Nevis summit, which was socked in, and meandered until i reached the small summit war memorial - followed my compass at 230 for 500 feet, then followed a 280 bearing until i located the path heading down

they warn hillwalkers not to stray far from the path here, as it passes very close to steep cliffs near Five Finger Gully, a "notorious spot for accidents" ... it was so foggy i never saw the cliffs

cruised down switchbacks, following the wide rocky path until it reached the junction, then cruised down to Ben Nevis Inn, where i celebrated with a scrumptious Guinness

snowshoes, crampons, ice axe, and Winter clothing stayed in my pack all day, paying homage to Mountain Gods

hoped to hike the Ring of Steall the next morning, but i decided to head towards Edinburgh to play tourist and enjoy a pub crawl

overall, a mentally challenging hike, considering the unsure aspect of whether i should have continued towards the summit when i reached the cloudy ridge, with horror stories of folks falling to their deaths, and rumours that it would be tough to locate the tourist track heading down

fun hike ! posted a few pics online:
http://community.webshots.com/user/armhike

Last edited:
From a born and bred Scotsman your report warms my heart. I'm glad to see you climbed Ben Nevis on one of the good weather days????
Wish I could have climbed with you.

Sounds like a fine time, Arm. How many more Monroes to go?

Left-handed clutch? Don't you operate the clutch with your (left) foot? I know I do.

Great photo's. My wife and I are going for a week in August, basing out of Ft. William. How hard is it to adjust to driving on the wrong side of the car and the wrong side of the road?

Well dun laddie! Thanks for the pics and the excellent narrative. Always wanted to head that away. Some of me ancestors are from up that away and the others are from near Mt. Snowdon in Wales. Aye, tis a good thing you carried a torch and stayed off the moors, esp. if it twas near dark. ;)

Congrats on climbing the Ben, Arm. Another neato hike in the area is the Aonack Egack on the the north ridge of Glen Coe (about an hour south of Fort William by bus), which I thought was reminescent of the Kinfe Edge of Katahdin. If you hitch a ride to the start near the head of Glen Coe, you benefit by a net elevation loss of over 1500 ft, as I recall, and finish at a pub, which I definitely remember as having outstanding real ales on tap.

Great trip Arm, and very nice photos as well.

One of the ridges you are looking at on the cliff side of the hill is Tower Ridge. A classic and fun rock climb.

Surprised at the lack of snow and ice down low this early in march.

Scotland afterall is the land where Hard Men were born and Full Conditions invented!

I'll enjoy talking to you about this adventure when next we meet.

cb