Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayaking near North Conway

As long as we're going far afield, why not Missouri Breaks in Montana?

The Sacco River is the antithesis of why I enjoy paddling but there's a reason it is so popular. It is a beautiful flatwater stretch from Conway with sandbars, if you can find an empty one, for swimming, lunch and party. There is the possibility of a shuttle back to your car so you can do a continuous end to end paddle.

Consider Chocorua Lake. Rt. 16 will remind you you're near civilization but the constant views of Mt. Chocorua will inspire a good hike.

Cooks Pond and River lead to Silver Lake ... more views of Chocorua.

Never been to Conway Lake but its on my "list" with put-ins at both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan View Post
    As long as we're going far afield, why not Missouri Breaks in Montana?
    Reaching Montana by car would definitely take more than a day of driving, so not quite the same as Maine...
    I will take a look at other lakes you mentioned - I have never seen any power boat traffic on Chocorua Lake whenever passing by, but you are right that cars going by on Rt 16 would remind us of civilization. Do I remember correctly that the parking area has a sign to the effect that it is for local residents or something like this?

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Note mountain ponds in northern NH tend to have leaches in them so be careful where you swim.
    We have seen some leaches in ADK but did not pay much attention until last year when we were doing a loop with a couple of small lakes and we decided to stop on a rock for lunch and possibly a swim. All was fine until my wife stepped off the kayak and a leach tried to attached to her leg. When that happened we noticed that there were several leaches lurking at the water's edge in a small area. We managed to get away by stepping into the kayak right off the rock, however, a little later we had to get out for a short carry in a muddy area. This went fine and then I offered my wife to push out our kayak through the muddy part as she was already sitting in it. Initially everything was going according to the plan until we got in thigh-high water and then as I tried to get into the kayak we flipped over and picked up some leaches into the main kayak hull. I couldn't stop laughing but we had to redo the whole exercise after draining leach-infested water from our kayak. Since that time I googled for methods for removing leaches and some of the recommendations are to use either salt, hydrogen peroxide or alcohol. I haven't tested it yet!

No power boats permitted on Chocorua. Leaches - nature’s source for anemia. Didn’t George Washington use leaches on his death bed (which likely hastened his demise)?

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    Reaching Montana by car would definitely take more than a day of driving, so not quite the same as Maine...
    I will take a look at other lakes you mentioned - I have never seen any power boat traffic on Chocorua Lake whenever passing by, but you are right that cars going by on Rt 16 would remind us of civilization. Do I remember correctly that the parking area has a sign to the effect that it is for local residents or something like this?
    One of the parking areas on Route 16 is for locals but there is also one for the general public. Also, I think there is parking on/near the road which carries over the bridge between the larger lake and the smaller lake. (It might actually be called Chocorua Lake Road.)