Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AT alternative through the whites ...

Based on the tone of your post, I would reconsider heading into the Dry River valley. The Pemi is much easier to navigate then the Dry River Wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by B the Hiker View Post
    Dug,

The point I was trying to make was that if one is looking for an alternative from New Hampshire to Katahdin, maybe find an alternative trail to hike altogether. If the AT is going to be busy, it's going to be busy the whole way, or enough of it for the hiker not to enjoy it. I just had a nice conversation with some through hikers on Friday at Lakes, they didn't complain about it. But if one wants solitude, do the Cohos or the LT instead.
    Understood. But, the basic stipulation was "I'm planning a backpack from Katahdin back to my house in New Hampshire along the AT in July and August.". So, I still don't understand how going through Vermont would help in getting from Maine to NH.

Dug,

The point I was trying to make was that if one is looking for an alternative from New Hampshire to Katahdin, maybe find an alternative trail to hike altogether. If the AT is going to be busy, it's going to be busy the whole way, or enough of it for the hiker not to enjoy it. I just had a nice conversation with some through hikers on Friday at Lakes, they didn't complain about it. But if one wants solitude, do the Cohos or the LT instead.
    The OP specifically states in the title of the thread "through the Whites" not the Greens. Yes both the LT and/or The Cohos would most likely be quieter alternatives in their entirety.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Next time. Iím on my way toMillinocket ...

I live close to the AT so it was an idea to “ walk home”. The LT is on my list.

Beth wants to avoid the Whites, yet we have suggestions talking about the Pemi!
    I would appreciate any trail suggestions that would take me from Gorham to Moosilauke.
    No, she is trying to avoid the crowds along the AT while getting from Gorham to Moosilauke. It's possible that a route could be created that avoids the Whites all together, but the most reasonable answer would probably be a route through the Whites that isn't the AT.

It's possible to string together a route that avoids the most of the AT but there are some sections that you can't avoid, and it would involve some of the more remote trails. Once such route might be:

- Stay on the AT to Mt Moriah
    - Moriah Brook trail down to Wild River Campground
    - Wild River trail to Perkins Notch
    - Bog Brook and Halls Ledge trails to Rt 16
    - Rocky Branch to Stairs Col trail
    - Davis Path to Rt 302 and a short road walk
    - Nancy Pond trail to Stillwater Junction
    - Wilderness trail to Osceo Trail
    - Osceo trail up to Liberty Springs (rejoin the AT)
    - Franconia Ridge trail to Falling Waters (leave the AT) to Franconia Notch
    - Lonesome Lake->Hi-Cannon-Kinsman Ridge trails
    - Rejoin AT above Kinsman Pond and follow it to Kinsman Notch

This route takes you on a few more isolated trails but nothing with exceptionally hard route finding. The problem is that you miss all the best sections of the hike through the Whites and avoid some of the easier backcountry camping spots. Do you really want to avoid the Presidential range because there are people up there?
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

Didn't she leave for Millinocket on 7/8 (Thread #22)? I think much effort is being expended for nothing at this point. Of course that's fun too.
    NH 48 4k: 48/48; NH W48k: 46/48; NY 46: 6/46

You are correct but confused. She will most likely be stopping at several hostels with WiFI and many shelters these days have folks firing up their phones and checking their emails and forums from the picnic table.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    You are correct but confused. She will most likely be stopping at several hostels with WiFI and many shelters these days have folks firing up their phones and checking their emails and forums from the picnic table.
    That only in itself being an assumption. If she is wanting to evade the Presidentials and people in general is not possible she may be totally unplugging. Which would be assuming also.
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

"Thread drift" I miss the old days, when you packed in and left the world behind. I didn't hear about 9/11 until 9/12, because I was overnighting on a 14er in CO.

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    "Thread drift" I miss the old days, when you packed in and left the world behind. I didn't hear about 9/11 until 9/12, because I was overnighting on a 14er in CO.
    I had a similar experience while being out overnight during the Super Bowl. Made it back to my vehicle mid morning on Monday. While driving home and listening to the Radio all the chatter was about the Janet Jackson wardrobe malfunction. At first I thought it was a "Monday Morning Radio Host Parody". Except it was on every channel. I agree. Isn't it just good to get away from it all!

Oklahoma City bombing. I was on the AT and when we hitched to a town for resupply, it was on every TV and radio. So weird.
    AMC Adopt-A-Trail Program Region Leader Emeritus: Pemigewasset 1993-2005 Southern Presidentials 2005-2017
    Trail Adopter: Webster Cliff Trail

Quote Originally Posted by sierra View Post
    Old days? I still do that. When I hit trail I'm in airplane mode until I get out......with the occasional exception to catch a Bruins playoff game in Spring if I can get a signal.

Quote Originally Posted by DayTrip View Post
    Old days? I still do that. When I hit trail I'm in airplane mode until I get out......with the occasional exception to catch a Bruins playoff game in Spring if I can get a signal.
    Not gonna lie, every trip I took this spring was centered around being able to watch the Bruins. It led to some unhappy campers around us at times but that's their problem. Fun fact: the shore of Kinsman Pond may not have service but the middle of it does.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Not gonna lie, every trip I took this spring was centered around being able to watch the Bruins. It led to some unhappy campers around us at times but that's their problem. Fun fact: the shore of Kinsman Pond may not have service but the middle of it does.
    Ha! I hope you weren't treading water in the middle of Kinsman Pond with your arm in the air. I have to admit I used to be really bad about not hiking when Bruins or Patriots were on. NFL Sundays were generally off limits for hiking. My fanaticism has worn off over the years though so I'll usually choose the trails over the game unless it is a really pivotal game like the Superbowl, Game 7, etc