Thread: Wildcats ski trail in winter ?

Wildcats ski trail in winter ?

Can I access the Wildcats using the ski trail during the ski season?

Note, the pass is not free, you have to buy an uphill pass which is far less money than a downhill pass. By buying the pass, NH recreational liability waiver is in effect for your hike so you can not sue the ski area for injuries. Unless the rules have changed you cannot head out on the mountain until the ski area is officially open for the day. In theory if you elected to hike up from the AT on either end of ridge and walk down you theoretically are supposed to buy a pass when you get to the bottom. Various reports over the years indicate few employees are up to speed on the rules as this usage is fairly rare.

Note there is also a cross country ski trail that runs up from the Jackson Ski touring system from the backside. I expect few would attempt to hike it in winter as it would be far longer. it is not on Wildcat's lease and therefore no need for a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    Note there is also a cross country ski trail that runs up from the Jackson Ski touring system from the backside. I expect few would attempt to hike it in winter as it would be far longer. it is not on Wildcat's lease and therefore no need for a pass.
    It does, however, require a Jackson Ski touring pass, at least for the trails that access trail in question.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    Quote Originally Posted by David Metsky View Post
    It does, however, require a Jackson Ski touring pass, at least for the trails that access trail in question.
    Does the Jackson Foundation actually do any grooming or patrols on the Wildcat Ski Trail between the summit and the Rt 16 crossing?

Also, if you exit the trail at Rt 16 crossing do you still need a Foundation Pass?

I've always been hazy about Jackson Foundation's involvement in the backside Wildcat ski trail.
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisB View Post
    Does the Jackson Foundation actually do any grooming or patrols on the Wildcat Ski Trail between the summit and the Rt 16 crossing?

Also, if you exit the trail at Rt 16 crossing do you still need a Foundation Pass?

I've always been hazy about Jackson Foundation's involvement in the backside Wildcat ski trail.
    Wildcat Valley Trail doesn't cross rt 16. It runs from Carter Notch Rd to the summit and is ungroomed from its junction with Beth Hendrick to the top. Hall's Ledge or Hutman's/Dana Place will give you access from 16 but you have to cross over groomed and patrolled trails to make the connection to the upper WVT.

https://www.jacksonxc.org/wp-content...l_Map_2018.pdf

KoKo Head Direct About 1024 Steps one way
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshandBaron View Post
    Wildcat Valley Trail doesn't cross rt 16. It runs from Carter Notch Rd to the summit and is ungroomed from its junction with Beth Hendrick to the top. Hall's Ledge or Hutman's/Dana Place will give you access from 16 but you have to cross over groomed and patrolled trails to make the connection to the upper WVT.

https://www.jacksonxc.org/wp-content...l_Map_2018.pdf
    Got it. Thanks!
    cb
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama