Ski stations update ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherby

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for any recent info on the access for the 4k' usually reached from Ski stations: Saddleback (ME), Sugarloaf (ME), Wildcat (NH). I've seen recent stuff about Saddleback being much less hiker-friendly than the previous administration and Wildcat changing their policy again. Sugarloaf, anything about the Crockers-Reddigton winter route could be interesting too.

Does Wildcat have a downhill hiking policy? If I go up 19 Mile to Carter Notch and then up Wildcat over A, B, C & then D, can I walk downhill without a pass? I'm not planning on doing it again anytime soon. If I get to Wildcat D around 3:30, they will be near the last runs of the day.

From Saddleback: An important note from Ski Patrol: For those looking to hike or snowshoe to the summit, it is closed until further notice to protect fragile habitat.

Wildcat don't mention buying a pass: Uphill access is permitted before and after operating hours (before 8:30am - after 4pm).

Last edited:
From Saddleback: An important note from Ski Patrol: For those looking to hike or snowshoe to the summit, it is closed until further notice to protect fragile habitat.

Wildcat don't mention buying a pass: Uphill access is permitted before and after operating hours (before 8:30am - after 4pm).

The Saddleback announcement is a pile of BS. They just don’t want people on their ski trails (Private Lands) and then arriving in The Appalachian Trail corridor. They came up with this misinformation as an excuse to do so. Possibly it is their liability concerns. Probably easier for them to just cop people at the top of the mountain than to come up with an uphill policy that they would have to administer on multiple levels. This discussion came up last season. You can access the summit from Rt. 4 which is a long way and I suspect not heavily traveled in Winter. Also there is a trail that was discussed here last season that is to the right of the Ski Area looking up the mountain. peakbagger is very informative on these matters. Maybe he will chime in with more input from the last thread about this. If there is any kind of an update he is the guy.https://www.vftt.org/forums/showthr...ot-go-to-the-summit&highlight=Saddleback+area

IMO Saddleback is not doing themselves any favors as The Alpine Ski Touring movement is on the rise and they are only shooting themselves in the foot.

Last edited:
Sorry I havent seen any recent information on either ski slope. I did notice the day I broke my ankle that Wildcat had a few (very few) uphill travel signs. Early morning on occasion prior to the lifts opening I have seen folks standing in the foreground of the tower cam taking off skins from their skis at Wildcat.

Pure speculation is Saddleback is probably still allowing uphill skiers to access the slopes, they just dont want the hassle of catering to snowshoers as its likely that if snowshoer makes a trail to the summit, skiers will follow and I believe Saddelback is under agreement that the ski area is not to use the defined AT corridor. My guess is the fiscal reality of running Saddleback last season probably has management focused on keeping the place afloat.