Changes Coming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikehikeskifish

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
I have been notified by the hosting company that the site will need to be moved to more recent technology for security reasons. They didn't give me a time frame, but I'll try not to wait until the last minute. Be warned that at some point, there will be downtime and when it comes back, it will very likely look different.

The driver is that PHP 5.6 is obsolete and I am being forced up to PHP 7.2
vBulletin 4.2 does not work with PHP 7.2, so I will have to either move to a cloud-hosted version or buy and install vBulletin 5.

Either way, it will look pretty different.

More details when I have them :)

Tim

Changes to Forum Software

Hey Tim,you are doing a super job. ADKForum and ADKHighPeaks have been beset with hackers and spammers, and our good folks who manage those have had to do a ton of work to fix it. And several years ago, NEIce was taken down by spammers for almost a year. By contrast VFTT has been secure. So I hope that the supposed "more secure" software is as good as the currently very secure software. Sometimes "better" is the enemy of "good."

I've always heard it as "perfect is the enemy of good". It is definitely time to upgrade for security reasons - we are well behind, and I knew at some point my hand would be forced. I am considering going with vBulletin cloud so I don't have to perform updates, although I lose some control and a few (minor) plug-ins. If anyone has already done this, I'd love your feedback.

Tim

I threw out a post to ADKHPs, asking if the web master could help you. FWIW, they struggled mightily (IMO) to get the board back to a usable state.

Since you mentioned money, is the VFTT slush fund in good shape?

Tim is the guy behind the curtain keeping up the tech end of VFTT. VFTT is good to go with funds unless the conversion is surprisingly expensive.

I will add this. You will lose all styling and any modifications when/if you move to vBulletin 5. None that you have now will work on vB5, unfortunately.

Last edited: