Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NH Covid Ski Area Recomendations

NH Covid Ski Area Recomendations

https://www.nhpr.org/post/covid-reop...ilers#stream/0

I expect those who really want to ski are going to be showing up with campers and vans with heaters to hang out in the parking lots as it sure doesnt look like the lodges will be COVID friendly. No doubt slopeside accommodations will be the ticket for those who can afford them

I expect VT resorts will have similar restrictions. It will probably result in fewer skiers on the trails which is not a bad thing.

This just reverts back to when I first started skiing. The lodge always looked like a mad house. A game of musical seats. We always just used the car as our lockerroom/cafeteria.
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JustJoe View Post
    This just reverts back to when I first started skiing. The lodge always looked like a mad house. A game of musical seats. We always just used the car as our lockerroom/cafeteria.
    Deja vu all over again: https://www.killington.com/plan-your...car-base-lodge

NewEnglandSkiIndustry.com News Article:

New Hampshire Issues COVID-19 Ski Area Regulations
    The Live Free or Die State will require face masks and will prohibit anyone with a runny nose from going to a ski area.

According to the guidelines, if you have a runny nose, you can't go skiing. How many people *don't* get a runny nose when exposed to mid-winter temperatures?

How do you detect a runny nose on someone wearing a mask

It would be interesting to see the impact of Covid on season pass sales. My guess is a significant drop ?

Expect more back country skiing and probably more accidents.

Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    Do you mean more skiing at established places like Tucks OR more skiers in the further out?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Murphy View Post
    Do you mean more skiing at established places like Tucks OR more skiers in the further out?
    A new book was just published about skiing the Presidential range, and a new edition of Goodman's book is coming out. Expect backcountry skiing to increase everywhere, with less experienced skiers exploring new terrain. I'm sure more folks will head to Tucks in mid-winter conditions resulting in more accidents and rescues, but I suspect it will be a problem across the board.
    You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself, any direction you choose. -- Dr. Seuss

That is presupposing that the FS does not elect to close Tucks and the Cutler River drainage again this winter. I met several skiers on Wildcat this spring looking longingly over at the primo snow conditions over on Tucks and the upper snowfields.

My guess is Granite Backcountry Alliances backcountry glades will get more usage once a reasonable snow pack forms.

Time to load up on the "Cat Crap"!
    "I'm getting up and going to work everyday and I am stoked. That does not suck!"__Shane McConkey

Quote Originally Posted by NHClimber View Post
    Backcountry skiers are still going to do their thing. Are you suggesting more people are going to take up backcountry skiing because they can't use the lodge? I seriously doubt that would happen.
    Joe

From the quick research I've done at Vermont resorts, it does not look like skiers will be prohibited from using the lodge for eating and restroom breaks, but that storing personal gear indoors will be prohibited. It also seems that resorts will be limiting access using a daily skier limit and that will be controlled by online ticket sales and an online reservation system for season pass owners. I expect that midweek skiing (except holiday weeks) will not be affected significantly by the skier limit.

Quote Originally Posted by jfb View Post
    ... I expect that midweek skiing (except holiday weeks) will not be affected significantly by the skier limit.
    I sincerely hope so! But...

Mid-week hiking traffic has increased significantly in the Covid era. I thinks it's a combination of furloughed folks, fully unemployed folks, work-at-home folks taking advantage of "flexible" schedules and families with kids who are not in the classroom.

Why, it downright negates the benefits of being a retired old outdoor fart!
    Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    Strange days indeed -- most peculiar, mama